Skip to main content

Four Years Vegetarian (3.5 Vegan)

Four years ago today, I made the decision to go meat-free. If you knew me before this decision, you'd be quite shocked, as I was known for being a true carnivore. Burgers with bacon, thick steaks dripping with their juices, medium-rare pork chops, loads of fish, and pretty much any and all exotic meats I could get my hands on. I was overweight, but internally I was technically healthy. So I thought. Six months into my journey, I started to feel terrible. Skeptics pointed to the lack of protein in my diet, but I was definitely charting this course with a nutritional app called myfitnesspal.com and knew my protein intake was right where it needed to be. I was taking a multivitamin for the first time in my life and making sure to "eat right." The only problem was, I wasn't. I wasn't only eating unhealthy, I was also contradicting the entire moral and ethical reason for my choice by continuing to eat dairy and eggs. I also felt bloated and had begun to gain some weight back. Six months later I made the switch to a vegan lifestyle and it made all the difference in the world.

Here's the problem. I've been bad lately. I've always been willing to eat something a child made for me, but those times were few and far between. My decision to eat non-vegan food in these instances was because while I was going against my own personal choice, the happiness of accepting another's generosity, especially a child, outweighed my personal decision. I also tried to make the moment a teaching lesson, finding along the way that most children do not actually associate the food they eat with the adorable animals they love. This dissonance is all part of the meat and dairy industries stranglehold on what our society, even our medical field, views as nutritious eating. Back to my personal failures. Recently, I've been craving fat. While vegan butter, oils, and avocados are part of my diet, I have been strongly missing the fat in food that soaks up a night of drinking. I realize this is probably comparable to those people who only smoke when they drink, tricking themselves into believing they are non-smokers. So I'm coming clean. In the past few weeks, I've cheated knowingly. I've cheated unknowingly a few times, especially at the beginning of this change in life and behaviors. Last night, after a few too many beers, I actually willingly ate meat for only the third time in four years and for the first time, it was more than just a taste. Worst of all, it was fast food. I can honestly say, I regret it internally, emotionally, and spiritually. I should not, I think spirituality is a crock, but I'm using it, because of the immense guilt I felt after I had finished eating.

So why am I writing this? Well, first off, I've often stated that this blog is much like a psychiatrist's couch for me. It allows me to rant, rave, vent, seek advice (from my better self), and repent. This isn't so much of a confession as it is a promise to recommit myself to the lifestyle I have chosen. Second, and most important. I made a decision, based on desire, without thinking of the consequences. Do I have to hit reset and say I'm not vegan? No, but there was some irony in my decision, in that earlier in the day, I showed a lack of morality by mocking a hunter who was badly injured while trying to take advantage of a beautiful animal. In doing so, I chose one animal over another, which is the basis for my decision to become vegan. To turn on my own kind makes little sense and there's quite some hypocrisy in criticizing someone who is hunting to feed his family, while I've spent much of my life in supermarket meals hunting for the perfect slab of flesh.

I've learned that guilt is only real if produces change. We all say we feel guilty when we do wrong to others or ourselves, but when those behaviors continue, is it really guilt or is it simply shame for being caught. I wasn't caught doing anything I don't have every right to do, but I feel great guilt because in a moment of desire, which is in most cases weakness, I chose poorly. If I am not to learn from this, then all this change, which I hold with such pride, means nothing. So yesterday was the worst I've been in four years and I sincerely hope I can say that it will continue to be the worst I've been, tomorrow, and for years to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her