Skip to main content

Goya, Oh Boya and The Current State of the Union

This was a Facebook post I just wrote. Aren't you glad we're not friends on Facebook?

Get a Snickers if you choose to read.
Then scream in the mirror, because you disagree with me.
Look for a meme to prove me wrong.

I spent the morning screaming at a Goya can for being filled with hypocritical beans and for supporting a candidate who hates them. Then I started a boycott of Ben & Jerry's because they support an old white man from Vermont who is so detached from reality when it comes to systemic racism, he can't get out of his own way. I then started thinking back to every business owner I've ever known and how many times they said something I disagreed with ideologically. I then thought about their employees and how some played along for job security, but those who disagreed were generally silent. Remember, silence gives power to the oppressor, so who is worse, the owner, those who agree, or those who stand silently? I then thought about all my friends who have used racist, sexist, homophobic, and religious slurs, sometimes during jokes, but very often simply during descriptions of others. I then thought about the 40+ years I've known that my opinion is my opinion and while I can often back it up with facts, there will always be people, some more intelligent than I, and some less intelligent than I, who disagree. I started thinking about how few people actually see the world as I do and the sad and lonely place it would be if I only chose to be with, listen to, and admire those I agree with.

I stayed home for six weeks, while I read posts by people who ranted and raved about people not being safe. I then broke my streak and went out, wearing a mask, and was unbothered by what others did, because to be honest, it didn't come into play. I live with someone who I've no clue as to how safe or unsafe she is being, but I never say a word should we pass each other unsafely. She is terrible about covering her mouth when she coughs and does not always wash her hands when she goes to the bathroom. I take extra precautions knowing this. I say nothing to her, as I hold no power over her actions. I often prove her wrong, but she goes about her day believing she's correct and I'm making things up. I rarely get my opinions from outside sources, whereas all of hers are from outside sources. So often, she changes her tune much more often than most. I ignore it, because if we can't end racism in 160 years, my telling her she's wrong isn't going to do much.

Science is a funny thing. It's ever-evolving. Dr. Fauci's inconsistency is proof of this. While this is not a knock on him, I'm reminded of the egg. When reading lots about nutrition, it occurred to me that every 2-3 years eggs go from being a superfood (which they are currently, despite the farming techniques) to harmful. How can anything with cholesterol be healthy? Especially in a country riddled with heart disease. Opinion. The good outweighs the bad, until a few years from now, when the bad will outweigh the good. Interestingly and not surprisingly, those who believe the first will continue to eat them and those who believe the latter, will either stop or continue to abstain.

In a few weeks, schools will open. A month later, historically, flu season will start. In years past, no child ever stayed out of school for much more than a single day, sometimes two. Despite still being contagious, and the family who cares for them possibly being carriers, everyone went along with life as usual. Nobody who cared for their children said a word, as was the case with their coworkers, friends, and family. Even those with at-risk friends and family were silent. This won't be the case in August and September, and surely not come the sick season. How we react and adjust will be interesting, but most likely, a lot less extreme as to what we saw in March and April. As businesses have opened, we're slowly going back to our everyday lives, except in New York, where we're being told how to eat and drink. Some are for this reform and others, like myself, say enough is enough. People are hurting financially and many have not enjoyed the luxury of the benefits the government has granted. Many, do not have tenured or contract jobs. Many work week-to-week, some even day-to-day. They cannot afford to stay home for months on end while their children are educated remotely. Some may not even be able to afford WiFi or own a home computer or tablet. They are not in people's minds during this decision. Oddly, they were the first ones in when closing.

All Lives Don't Matter, We all know this. When the first cases hit Europe, doctors chose who could be saved. In our own country, systemic racism is either the main topic of conversation or a slight annoyance. We've all forgot about the fact that the number of starving people, especially children has nearly tripled over the past four months. With our economy crippled, we now want to make security, shelter, and sustenance even more burdensome.
You can disagree with my politics, my views, my assessment, but you can't agree with science that you look up and simply ignore the other numbers, because you didn't.

Schools must open.
Businesses must be allowed to serve the public.
People need to protect themselves and not count on others.
Kids need to be socializing, educating, and being kids.
Older children need to set the path for their future.
Parents need to stop creating mental health problems for them.
Politicians need to start preparing for round two or the next one.
We need to realize that war will not be our downfall.
We need to protect this planet so it can protect us.
We need to stop eating eggs...until we don't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her