Skip to main content

Birthdays

I sometimes wonder what makes a birthday great? What is an important birthday when you are over 21? Is it 25? 40? 50? $75? 100? Seriously, other people make a big deal about it, but does the receiver of such reception feel anything?

I said over 21, because that's the legal drinking age and maybe it's more of a reflection of the company I keep than the importance of the age that makes this so important. Ten was a big birthday for me. I was double digits. Thirteen was big, but only because I would be a teenager and entering high school. I later found out that wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Eighteen was exciting, because I could vote. Oh wait, no it wasn't. I don't remember my 21st birthday and not because I was drunk, it was just not that memorable. Twenty-two through thirty-nine have been a blur. I can't remember most of them and the majority have been spent with friends over dinner or drinks. Some were with family, some were not. I guess if I had to pick the best birthday ever. The one that reverberates in the back of my brain would be my 30th.

My 30th birthday was not spent at home with family. Not with my longest known friends. It wasn't even spent in NY, where I've lived my entire life. It was spent in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, in what would be my final summer at Pierce Camp Birchmont. Was it my best summer? Who knows, the happiness that this place brought me was too hard to narrow down to best and worst. I mean seriously, if there is a heaven above, it looks, smells, and feels like Birchmont.

It was my fourth summer at PCB and I was running the Explorers. A group of rambunctious ten-year-olds who were out of their minds. It's funny to think, many of them are now 19 and working at the camp. It was a beautiful Thursday morning. As I woke up the kids who tried to muster a few extra minutes, I received a few birthday wishes. My fellow counselors also wished me well and we headed out to the dining hall. A few birthday wishes were given by other counselors from different groups and we entered the dining hall. The thought of the day ahead was no different than any other day, soccer in the morning, followed by WAG (weights, arts & crafts, and gymnastics), down to the lake for swim, up for lunch, tennis, more swimming, baseball before dinner and then a night off. The latter is what I was looking forward to.

As was tradition, my group stood on their chairs and sang me happy birthday. This was a common occurrence for children and counselors throughout the summer. Nothing special, although very appreciated. As we ate our breakfast the girl explorers came by and they surrounded the table. They sang and good wishes were given by my female counterpart from girl's camp. Another somewhat normal exchange. Then something started to happen that wasn't the norm. My group from last year came by, then the girls. The younger kids took their turn and then the older kids. By the end of the meal, all 300+ kids had sung me happy birthday. I was overwhelmed almost to the point of tears. As I walked out, the directors called me over and gave me their wishes. Not even 9:00 and already a a glorious day.

The day continued as would any other day. As the sun began to lower, those of us who had the day off began to run back for showers and to dress for the evening out. The smile that had been on my face all day was still there. A quick phone call from my parents would complete the wishes. I made the trek up to the yellow school bus that would drop us in town. As I started to get on the bus, I was signaled over to the directors cottage which was right across from my chariot into the debaucherous evening. The director subtly acknowledged the morning gesture and said "that says a lot about what we all think of you." He added "many counselors are loved here for different reasons, but you are for all the right reasons." Greg was always supportive and complimentary, but those are words that always stuck in my head. I was not only proud of them, but I was touched, because it capped off the perfect day. I honestly don't remember the rest of the night. I'm sure we enjoyed ourselves at one of many great locations, but the day, the gesture, and the comments will always stick with me.

Nine birthdays later, I've yet to come close to anything as meaningful as that day. I've since been back to Birchmont only once. I see my friends less and less and some are gone forever I think. I keep up with as many as I can through Facebook and e-mail, but with people living all over the world, it's sometimes tough to find the time and energy for all of them. As the summer ended the thoughts of that birthday stayed clear in my mind.

When the next summer approached and I was offered a much more lucrative job. I reluctantly cut ties with PCB. I will not lie, I cried over the decision. I knew some of my best friends would be sharing a summer that would definitely top mine. Every year when school lets out and buses packed with children set off to wooded locales. I think back to that summer. I think at that instant that this will be another summer where my birthday is just a day in July. I sometimes hear the off tune little kids in the back of my head and smile. I wish I could thank them, Greg and Laura for the best birthday I ever had. The best summers I ever had. Maybe I will be back one day, maybe I won't. A sign in front states "there are no strangers here, only friends waiting to be met." No truer statement exists. I have some I haven't spoken to in years, but in an instant there is no doubt we'd carry on as if we were sharing a bunk.

My 30th. The best birthday I ever had.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her