Skip to main content

Sunday Morning, July 5th, 2009

Yesterday morning I awoke after a night of heavy drinking and heavier eating and stared at the ceiling. I wondered why my sleep had been so short. I waited about an hour and headed out. It was the day after July 4th, random firework casings littered the streets and I had visions of a delicious breakfast ahead of me. Little did I know, I was in store for fireworks of a different variety. I returned home to a fresh pot of coffee, a bag full of steaming hot bagels, some cream cheese and lox. I guess this is the Jewish equivalent of the Sunday dinner...I call it brunch, no matter what time I eat it.

9:00am. I turn on the TV, coffee in hand and half listen to the broadcasters go on and on about the historic event. I'm having thoughts in my head of how the day will go after the 90-100 minute slaughter I'm about to watch. Four and a half hours later, I'm worn out. Literally sweating from the action I've just witnessed. Powerless and fatigued by the effort that entertained me. Thankful, I remembered to watch.

So now it's 1:30pm. My television has been shut off. I have just witnessed an incredible tennis match between Roger Federer, who ended any speculation as to who is the greatest tennis player ever and Andy Roddick. The prodigy who despite not living up to his billing, has managed to stay a very consistent and formidable opponent.

The point of this blog wasn't to tell of my morning, but to tell of the feelings that followed it. Roger Federer is my favorite current tennis player and has been for quite a few years. I've enjoyed his domination the way, I am sure, Yankees fans enjoyed the latter end of the 1990's. Last year, he played and lost in what very well may have been the greatest match of all time. This year, with Rafael Nadal injured, a rematch was not going to happen and Federer's winning his 15th and record breaking grand slam was inevitable. Everyone got the memo. Everyone, but Andy Roddick. Roddick had surpised everyone just getting there. Of course he would be steamrolled and the morning grass would still have the morning dew by match's end. Or so I thought.

Andy Roddick put on the single greatest serving display I have ever witnessed. It should be noted that Roger Federer had fifty aces, but Roddick's serving was the story. He did not have his serve broken until the final game. The 30th of the fifth set. The match had ended and I, as a Federer fan, found it disturbingly difficult to smile. I had just watched my favorite player win. He had won Wimbledon. He had won a record breaking 15th slam. He was the greatest. All I could think of was Roddick. As he sat slumped over in his chair. Tears welled in his eyes. I felt a lump in the back of my throat. But why? I never feel for any team that loses to the Red Sox or the Broncos. I don't feel this way when an Olympic athlete loses to Russia, or China, or any other country for that matter. So why was I so upset for Roddick? Maybe it's because for me, sports has always been about the competition and that's probably why I never really went out for team sports in high school. Winning and losing in the end never meant anything to me. I'd rather lose a 5-4 game of baseball any day, rather than beating someone 20-0. I'd rather get the game winning shot hit against me than beating another team by 40 points. To me it's the game, the sportsmanship, and the show that matters, not the result. It dawned on me early in the fifth set that this match was special. As it continued, I did not want it to end. The end, either way, meant that the enjoyment was over. As Roddick composed himself for the post match interview, the pain was evident. This wasn't about beating Federer or winning Wimbledon. It was about Roddick.

The term "leaving everything on the field" is the most overused cliche in sports. Athletes rarely do this, even in championship games. On Sunday, I truly believe Roddick left a part of himself on that grass court. I do not think he will ever be the same. He played arguably the greatest five set of tennis that anyone has ever played (including Federer) and he lost. Mortals don't come back from that. If he does, I will be impressed. If he does, I will give him a standing ovation wherever I may be. If he does, it may be greater than anything anyone ever does in any sport. Sunday, Roddick played as well as anyone has ever played in any sport and lost. I watched every point and I saw a man leave his heart and soul on that court. His glassy eyes were all but empty. A man can not live without a heart, and I believe that this man, truly, may have left it all on the court.

I thank him!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her