Skip to main content

Weekend, 9/11 & People - Tons of Thoughts

I tried not to post on Facebook or Twitter yesterday, out of respect for all those affected by the events eleven years ago.  I personally think that posting pictures of the destruction of the Twin Towers is not only disturbing, but slightly disrespectful. If your loved one died in a car accident, would you want to see a picture of the wreckage every year on the anniversary of their death? Please don't think I'm judging anybody else's manner of showing their appreciation or respects, it's my personal feeling.

Monday, I got to play golf.  I was lucky, because it was free.  The day was great and I appreciated it.  In the morning, I missed getting over to a friend's house in time and they had left for breakfast, so I missed out on some eggs and bacon.  I had made a joke, thanking them for picking me something up and just laughed about it.  One of the players, who I barely know, walked over and handed me half a bagel. I declined the offer, not wanting to take his food, but he insisted. Things like that make my day.  Oh, and it definitely hit the spot.

I talk a lot about politics online and it truly amazes me how little facts matter to some.  Today, I abstained from commenting, but the shit that was being thrown up on people's pages was ridiculous. The report that Obama snubbed Netanyahu was all over.  Very little mentioned about how the men spoke, as they do regularly, for what was reported to be over an hour.  Lots of people, mostly republicans were flabbergasted that NBC interviewed Kris Jenner instead of showing the moment of silence.  While a completely ludicrous decision, was it more offensive than Paul Ryan speaking about the first responders today, when he has voted against the Zadroga Act?  The posts about the attack on the Embassy in Cairo and Romney's false claim Obama apologized.  There were no cartoons or memes about a report that the actual unemployment rate (U-6) is actually lower today than it was when Obama took office. No snippets about how Obama has shrunk government, but his opponents is claiming the opposite. Should be interesting to see if Obama mentions Bain Capital invested millions in a company that disposed of aborted fetuses come the debates. Enough of politics for now, because sadly, I can, have and will, go on and on.

I ran into some people I enjoyed being with this weekend and some I did not.  I was very clearly reminded, that from this point on, I must avoid drama.  I must also not create my own.  This is essential.  I realize that with the exception of some good times, I have wasted a good part of the last few years, surrounding myself with some people that brought me down.  Down while I was already down.  Is this their fault?  Without a doubt, it is not.  They are living their lives as they see fit and I abandoned many of my beliefs to "fit in."  I paid the price and it's a price that brought me a lot of heartache. I was talking to a truly good person this weekend.  A person who always has my back and tries to steer me away from these potholes life throws us. I think he's the one person I truly don't take for granted.

As I was walking home last night. Someone saw me.  I was exhausted, a little drunk and it was late.  The person didn't know me, but saw something. She called over.  Are you OK?  I told her I was fine.  She asked me again and I explained I only had to walk one block.  She laughed and told me to have a nice night. A complete stranger, being decent.  Made me laugh, when I think about all those I come across who aren't strangers and aren't decent.

I did a lot of reading the last few days.  Tons of different topics. Read an article about intelligence and religious beliefs.  The results were obvious to me, but it still amazes me that people argue this fact, or even worse, don't understand why.  I was going to write an entire blog on this, but I believe I have already and it wasn't so well accepted.  Sometimes, even I don't want to offend.

Some of the other interesting things I read (I'll list in case people want to do some research of their own):
FBI Agent John O'Neill - known basically as the Al-Qaeda hunter.  Ironically, he died in the WTC bombing in 2001.  He also was one of the corroborators on stories that the Bush administration new well in advance.  What's so amazing about this man, is he one told a friend he thought they would try to finish the job, but he took the job as head of security for the Towers anyway.

Mike Trout, OF, Anaheim Angels - very quietly this young phenom is having one of the greatest seasons in major league history.  Buster Olney says "the best."  It's arguable and missing the first month of the season might hurt him for MVP, but the numbers are staggering.

The TV Ratings for the RNC & DNC: The ratings for the DNC were much greater, which to be honest, is quite a surprise.  One, the DNC went up against the opening football game of the year with two huge market teams.  The other is that the DNC was on when school had just started.  That all being said, I have read that ratings have absolutely no bearing on the outcome.  Of everything I read, there was one glaring number.  Ten million less people watched Romney & Ryan as did McCain & Palin!

I also read some poetry this weekend.  I read Thomas, Plath, Cummings & Bukowski to name a few.  It truly amazes me, how some people are able to use language.  Well I'll end this babble.  Not that interesting, but it's better than the crap I have going on in my life that's serious, so this is all I can muster.  Maybe tomorrow someone will inspire me.   I can hope.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her