Skip to main content

Why I Debate Politics: No Political Conversations Will Be Found In This Blog

Anyone who has the awful luck of being my friend on Facebook has realized that I love debating anything. Politics is at the forefront right now and it's a daily battle, usually with the same people.  Someone usually posts something completely outlandish and false, that despite my attempts to refrain, I can't resist.  The initial comments start slow, but then it's a free for all.  Tons of comments and barbs are thrown and it's usually in good fun, but a few people recently made it personal and paid the price.  I was unfriended by one friend who made a personal attack and found out how quickly, as much as I didn't want to, I can dish it out.

Here's my thing about politics and why it's fun for me.  In any other category, it's an even playing field and despite coming across as a pompous ass, I can usually destroy my opposition with facts and figures.  The key to all successful debates. Sure, there is everyone's personal take on what these numbers mean, but in the case of, say sports, it's pretty cut and dry.  Why politics?  Why do I revel in it?  I do because of the challenge.  We're debating on Facebook, which makes it public. Making it public takes all my power away. A little confused?  OK, let me hash it out for it.  Nearly everyone I argue with, has an Achilles' heal. Some may work off the books, some may evade taxes, some may claim dependents that aren't truly there and some may hire illegal immigrants to work for them.  Some may have been handed their situations, be outright racist or deal in illegal activities for money. Some may quite simply, not be mentally up to to the task to debate with me or anyone else who brings facts into an equation.  Some just don't seem to realize their argument contradicts their needs and desires.  I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that everyone I debate with falls into one of these categories.  I myself am in a tax quandary myself.  Not from evasion, but simply put, an inability to live on what I've made recently and pay my full share.  My honesty is one of my weapons, so I'm throwing it out there.

In the last weeks, I've pretty much proved almost everything false that's been thrown at me.  I've backed it up with good sources to refute my counterparts flimsy propaganda info and for the most part, know I'm winning the debate.  There are no moderators or judges, so I assume those who sling their comments feel the same as I.  Here's the thing.  I wonder...truly wonder how many of them have had these things happen.

  • Had upwards of 40 people write me privately to ask my where I find such dumb friends to argue against me. 
  • Had phone calls and texts sent warning the others not to get into a battle of wits with me.
  • Had their friends, who I don't even know, tell me how dumb their friends are and not to bother with them (multiple times). 
  • Had someone tell me the same person contradicted themselves in another argument with someone else.
  • And my favorite.  Had people argue with me publicly and agree with me privately...simultaneously.
All the people I debate with are good people. If I needed a favor, I know they would help.  At times it becomes personal and we usually take a break and walk away.  Sometimes we don't and I believe we all suffer from that.  I know I mean them no harm and definitely don't want to out their flaws and don't want mine outed either.  It happens when blood boils over any topic.  Sometimes, I simply take the higher road and walk away.

I've said a lot, but the true reason isn't any of this. The true reason is quite more complex, but I will state the short reason.  After the 2008 election, I asked someone if they voted.  They said they did and told me they voted for McCain.  I didn't judge, but asked "what made you decide to vote for him."  She said, "my parents are republicans and we've always voted that way as a family."  I let her know that I accepted this as a reason, but followed it up with, "So you must be pissed Obama won."  She paused and said "Nah, he's probably a better choice, I watched one of the debates and he wiped the floor with McCain."  I couldn't let this go. I asked "So you think he's the better choice?" She paused again, "Yeah, probably."  I let it go.  How on earth does someone vote against their own feelings?

In the upcoming election, we will be forced to make a choice.  The choice is whether to vote for something that is taking place now or something we had in the past.  Regardless of credit or fault, we need to make a decision.  Liberals, historically want to change everything and conservatives have wanted things to stay the same.  This election is the epitome of these basic principals. Regardless of your political position, I hope you educate yourselves and vote. It's truly the basis of our independence and out freedom.  To waive that right is irresponsible. I didn't vote in 2008 and I'm kicking myself for it.  Circumstances out of my control played a part, but I should have found time.  This election, might be the most important as any we've had in the last 50 years.  As I said, this blog isn't about the politics, but about my passion for this decision.  Whatever the outcome, we all have to live with it.  Make sure your voice is heard. If you feel the need to voice it on my page.  The floor is always yours.  I look forward to it, no matter what side of the ballot you are on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her