Skip to main content

Karma

I read more Facebook statuses about karma than almost any other topic not related to one's kids and pets.  Karma is the most overused and most incorrectly used term out there today.  Just could you drove your daughter's friends to the movies and had to sit through two hours of One Direction, doesn't mean you are in for a life of pedicures and back rubs. That's not the way it works.  Karma is one of over twenty aspects of the Buddhist belief as to why your life is the way it is and very little of it has to do with this specific life. You may have been a wonderful being in past lives or you may have been a tyrant.  One thing that should be known is that if you really read into it, bad promotes bad and the cycle continues.  It's Buddhists way of explaining the inequality in the world.  Much like other religions use faith and the afterlife as a tool.  In Buddhism there is rebirth, so karma when used by a Christian, Jew or Muslim is about as silly as it gets.

Here is the other thing. Sit back and think about your life.  If you're pointing to that one thing you did for a friend and they didn't return the favor, so you out them anonymously on Facebook, are you really a good person? If you are doing good things because you want something in return, you are not doing it because of your wonderful personality, you're doing it out of selfishness and wish recognition and reciprocation.  This is almost as silly as this new "random acts of kindness" bullshit all over the Internet. If you think about it for weeks and need to tell the world, it is in no way random. 

In the past 10-12 years, I don't think a week goes by that I don't do twenty things for others with absolutely no reciprocation, yet I'm not looking for it.  Sure, when I moved into my apartment nine years ago and the three people I had helped two or three times each, weren't around to help, it bothered me.  Was it karma?  Have their lives turned into some pit of hell? No, they are all doing much better than I.  So in a past life, maybe I was Idi Amin or Hitler and this is why my life is so miserable, right?  Nope, the things that happen to use happen because of chance.  I love the people that gripe about how they work hard and I don't and that's why they have a great job and I don't.  So explain to me how you're on Facebook seven of the eight hours you're at work and you work hard that other hour?  Come watch me run a class, a camp or watch me when I had an office job.  Yes there were down times, but you didn't see me on social media ripping other people's "easy" work schedule.  Will karma catch up with me or with them? Absolutely not.

Stupidity is karmic in a sense. I know a lot of stupid people.  You know what?  Their parents are stupid, their grandparents are stupid and their kids will most likely turn out stupid.  Doesn't mean they are good or bad, it just means that they are genetically transferring a lack of intelligence and it was transferred to them.  Ooh, did I insult someone? Well, guess what.  You can fight this.  Just because your parents were failures in education, doesn't mean you have to be.  Oh, but they started a business and it's successful?  Excellent!  Job well done. Doesn't mean they are smart.  Three of the dumbest people I know make three to four times what any of my other friends with PhD's make.  Is it karma that this happened?  Is it hard work?  No, it's neither.  It's chance, opportunity and many times a shit load of luck.  It's also the life path we've chosen and how we've handled the bumps in the road. 

I could sit back and blame a million things for why I am where I am today.  All could have multiple reasons.  Some my fault, some others, some life and some chance.  You know what it has nothing to do with? Karma, faith, prayer, or any other useless thing that does nothing but to excuse one from the responsibility of their own actions and that dreaded word, fate!  We all know complete wastes of space who have excelled in their lives and we know good people who have suffered.  To be honest, I know more drug addicts, adulterers, horrible parents and connivers who do well than I know good people who do well.  I know more stupid, selfish people who never helped those around them, but had personal success than those who did for others.  Selfishness has its merits.  It is a valuable tool that people use to promote self worth and if you're willing to let those around you suffer to reach your goal, well in many ways, you're a better person than I am.  You have an intestinal fortitude that I don't possess.

Nobody will read this who posts about karma anyway, but the next time you're going to wish bad on someone else based on your past life and your present life's actions, you might want to learn what you're talking about first.  Then skip the rhetoric. While you're at it, donate some money to a charity. Pick a group of people you despise and make their lives better.  Who knows, I could be wrong and your next life might be grand.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her