Skip to main content

Food Familiarity

Why do we like or dislike things when we go out to a restaurant? Why are some great and some mediocre? Why are some reasons for liking a meal as ludicrous as some for not? The main thing, with even the most adventurous eaters, is familiarity.

A few years back a friend made me a pork ragu. Knowing I don't love pasta, he gave me a fresh baguette from an exceptional baker to accompany it. I went home, heated it up and dug in. Devouring every last bit of both. Without a doubt, the best meat sauce or bolognese I'd ever had. He later made it with beef and while I enjoyed it immensely, it lacked that originality for me. That being said, it wasn't like anything I'd had before. Later that evening, a friend, a professional chef and restaurateur came in and he asked him to try the sauce.  The chef took a spoonful, then another and then another, sopping up the final bits with a piece of hamburger roll. He was amazed. He said "I wish I could make mine this good, but you know what's amazing? I couldn't sell it." We both looked puzzled and he began to explain.

"Serving food, isn't about selling the best product, but giving someone an experience. They first eat with their eyes, then their nose and finally their mouths, but the real taste, comes the second they read the dish on the menu. When it comes to pasta and sauces, it's easy to make something with uni or squid ink and get a favorable review, because what are they comparing it to? Nothing! When you make a traditional dish, you have to make it familiar. You can't elaborate too much or it won't click with them." He (an Italian) said "everyone loves mom or Nonna's sauce, but guess what? Chances are Nonna's sauce was pretty shitty. It's the memory of sitting with family on a Sunday that is the real flavor. So, when I make something, it's why it has to be different enough to warrant me charging $22 for a dish that costs me $3 to make, but it has to similar to that the first bite tastes in their mind 'just like Nonna's."

This conversation has stuck with me and made me thing about all the silly times I've eaten with people and heard them say things like "Frog legs taste just like chicken." Psst...they don't, they taste like frog's legs. Or when caviar tastes like salmon, yes, if it's salmon eggs, but the wonder of it is as you press your tongue with the eggs against the roof of your mouth and get that little explosion of flavor. That can't be replicated in nature without some scientific approach to cooking.

So where am I going with this. Well, I love chili and I hate stews. I realize this is odd on many levels, but I just don't like poor cuts of meat made tender by long cooking times. It's why some versions of ribs don't stand up and why most people ruin brisket. I also realize I'm "picky," but that's another topic. So my father made an award winning chili recipe and I dug in. Immediately, my mind raced with each bite. Constantly going back to something familiar. That conversation I spoke of earlier. This chili, wasn't chili, it wasn't stew and it wasn't at all familiar. No matter how I tried it, with pasta, with rice, with onion, with cheese or simply by itself, the flavors, smells and sight of it simply never said chili. I can't say it was bad, because there was nothing about it I didn't like, but I didn't like it as a whole. It wasn't chili to me, based on my experiences. Maybe had I found the bay leaf or been sitting in the place I last had it, would it be recognizable as chili, but it never happened.

Maybe I need to lower my standards or delete my memory. Maybe I need to only try new things or stick to old things. But memories lead us to expectations and whether it be award winning chili or some bland red sauce, accompanied by the comforting smile of Nonna, it all matters. Even before our first bite.

Comments

  1. Blah Blah.. where are your daily wild rants? The brisk winds of Ithaca must have tamed you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her