Skip to main content

Odd Sunday Morning

I've been up at least an hour. That's not to say I didn't sleep, but the Sun and I don't seem to mesh well as of late. My friend Swag, who has been quite the cuddle bud lately, decided to go sleep in the kitchen. Maybe it's me, but more than likely, he's as thrown off as I am. The children are back, and for the first time in nearly three months, my weekends have not been my own. The stress of this was not something I expected, but the peaceful moments, especially in the early morning are something I will miss. Will I be here come next spring or summer, when the house is mine? I tend to think not, but then again, I have thought many things about my location in life and I've been wrong every time. Every time, since 2004. Not a single time was I correct. An odd thing for someone who strives to be "correct" as much as possible.

There's a new stress in my life, but quite possibly a good stress. I'll keep it under wraps for now, because I have reservations and I also have fears. Stress is something we all deal with, but I've never felt it as I do the last few years. Physical pain, trouble getting comfortable, irritability to the point where attention to even the most everyday things, falls by the wayside. No, apparently it's not depression, because despite having no reason to feel this way, my sense of self worth hasn't faded. Despite being very little to very few, I still feel my life offers others things they wouldn't normally have.. Conceited, egotistical, narcissistic? I do not feel that way, because I do not view myself as better. I view my strengths as positives and my weaknesses negatives and I'm acutely aware of which are which. A talk with a doctor, the medical kind, suggested medicine, but also suggested it would be more for peace of mind, but my fears, fears he confirmed to be real, is that with that peace, I'd lose a piece.

There's no shame in being down, but there's shame in being down for too long. I've been down for a long time, much of the reason hidden by my absence from those who claim to know me. It has dawned on me, many times over the past forty months, that those who were closest to me, never really knew me. My so-called best friends still think I care what others think about me, when the reality is, I care more what people think about themselves. I do not mean this wholly as a positive thing. I do find most people have a much more elevated view of their importance in the world, as if their simple being keeps the Earth on its axis. I post things on social media and there are times when they believe the light has shined on them, but really, it's the darkness within them being revealed. Not that they are evil, demonic or even bad, but that they are merely no different than anyone. Isn't that the greatest fear in life? To be average.

An average existence is what I've lead the last forty months. That's not true. Things have happened that are far from average. They are much worse than average. Much, much worse, but I don't hide it and yet, people think certain things. My opinions are hated, but so were a great many people who thought about others first. Maybe, just maybe, that was my mini epiphany this weekend. That all those who hate my opinions, many who claim to hate me as a person for them, aren't so much angered by me, but that I want so much, so very much, for those who are not me, but also, are not them. That is where their hurt, their anger, even rage comes from. That I've chosen others to care for, strangers even, over those who despise me, yet call me friend.

So today will come and go. The sun will rise soon and set soon after. I'll annoy someone by pointing out I'm not like them, don't think like them and at the end of the darkened day, care more about people who aren't them. They will simmer in their own fears of inadequacies and the thought they are superior and tell others of my rhetoric. This is the funny thing about those who view themselves as superior. They're usually, just a small group of average people, who are so angry with that simple fact, they've convinced themselves that is the supreme way to live. It's called cognitive dissonance, but that's another topic, personal to me, altogether. Getting back to this scattered thread, I will return to the beginning. The last ten weeks, I've had myself to entertain. My cat. He's suffering now, with an itch and I'm trying to relieve it  Those who are now around me, get my attention, more than he. More than me. A hug here and there. A laugh. Cleaning dishes for others, folding laundry, making life easier, never looking for or receiving thanks. My own anxieties increasing as I await something to happen for me. Make it happen, people will say. Yes, I am, but I have others to help before that. No, not you. You're superior, remember. You don't need my help. Simply tell me I'm wrong, I'm a waste, to shut up, to go to hell, to die, to disappear. Wow, you sure do spend a lot of time thinking about me, day in and day out. Oddly, it took until this odd Sunday morning for me to even recognize you. Enjoy that power I've given you. It won't be there tomorrow. I have strangers who may need me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her