Skip to main content

Out of Touch

No, this is not a continuation of my thoughts and feelings about figures of speech. I mean this quite literally about how the lack of feelings creates many thoughts. The inability to feel and be felt can lead to feelings of insecurity and loneliness.

Most of those my age have spouses and children. They take physical touch for granted. Those of the younger generation give hugs to each other the way many used to shake hands or high-fives. Physical touch, especially an embrace, sets of all kinds of physical, biological, and psychological responses. It may even be a physiological need. It's something that babies need and as we get older, it seems to face. Especially those of us who live alone. Many will joke about older people and their relationships with their animals, but dogs, cats, and other animals provide many of us the joys we desire, without disrupting the lives of others. It is essential to who we are, not as individuals, but as human beings. Even the worst people show great affection to these creatures, because in many cases, they provide the only affection they receive.

Working with kids, there is almost incidental contact with other humans every day. At times, they are clingy, craving the same thing we all do. This most often stems from them simply missing a parent or family member, but is often a response to an uncomfortable or stressful situation, one in which they crave the comforts their mother and father give them, from someone they feel can be their surrogate. It's an almost involuntary reaction for the child and those adults who work with kids out of love, not a necessity or financial reasons. These moments, while important to our relationships with the children are not the same for us, as we are doing for others, and while there is a reciprocal appreciation, it's not felt the same as one would get by doing for their loved ones.

Like many of you, when I was a child, my mother would kiss my forehead often. It wasn't until I was an adult, it was often to check if I had a fever, but it became a habit, I looked forward to. A comforting signal I was safe and always would be. A good feeling to have before the lights went out and I drifted off into my thoughts. I remember vividly on her last day, I received that same kiss; this time at the age of 34. Later that night, right before and after she passed, I returned the kiss, hoping to give her the comfort she had given me all those years. I would like to think I succeeded, but I know it changed me. It was the last time I'd receive this and in some ways, it was the last time I'd feel that safety.

Certain situations, like seeing a mother pick up a child, two friends or coworkers embrace or maybe just sit close enough to be connected, or maybe strangers holding hands or kissing, sets off things that we all crave, yet some of us are missing in our day-to-day lives. It's not jealousy or envy, because we are actually triggered by memories of happiness., Although, I am sure for some, this is absent. today, there were two moments, both so innocent, so normal, and probably so insignificant in one pair's lives and so very significant in another's, that I couldn't stop thinking about that feeling and how long it's been since I've felt it. It was that touch, that we all expect, or at one time expected and it's absence made me conflicted by memories of happiness and the present thoughts of loneliness. My final memory of the evening was one of recent joy, of holding my niece's hand as we walked down the chilly sidewalk, and as she let go to take her mother's hand instead, I understood and knew, if I were her, I would too.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her