Skip to main content

My First Impressions of "Social Distancing"

Most people aren't doing it as it should be done. Myself included, so no judgment. We all need to eat, to pay bills. Those of us who rent are in a much more serious situation, because our deal may not be salvaged by some government leniency or bailout. Those of us who rent and aren't salaried employees have a feeling of impending doom, that no matter how hard we try to put on a happy face, we are in fact, Joker.

Social media has shown us that people have stayed the same, simply magnified. The "Kindness Krewe" has amped up their reminder to do things most of us do every day sans themselves of course. The fake agoraphobics have pretended to be burdened by this seclusion because it's not their choice. The introverts are claiming antsiness, while the extroverts are complaining about missed social lives which are much more exaggerated than they claim publicly. Parents are speaking of homeschooling as if they shouldn't have been teaching their kids, every day, all along. Teachers who complain about their jobs and now overcome with sadness from this two-day departure from normalcy. Kids are fucking ecstatic. College and high schoolers are partying like the end is nigh. 

So what has really changed? 

Remember all those people who would post on social media about the dangers of Syrian refugees. sanctuary cities, and the imaginary threat of terrorism? They couldn't comprehend the need to flee bombings and oppression, but are now worried if they'll be able to wipe their own asses and demanding their government assist them (and only them). Those who welcomed everyone with open arms, seem to feel entitled to the inside track on hand-sanitizer. There are those who care and those who care less. The reality is, we've not changed one bit, we've just had our personalities magnified and each positive and negative have multiplied, not necessarily in our own reality, but in how we're perceived. 

Depending on how long this goes on, we'll see the same thing we always see during times of duress. The good and giving will continue their compassionate and altruistic ways, the bad and selfish will continue to be angry and narcissistic, and the majority of us will simply go through life, slightly bothered, going about our mundane lives with a little less, or more, sunlight, and a little less frivolity, a little more angst, and maybe, we learn to take less for granted. In reality, not on social media. 

Nah, we're Americans, This will pass and we'll not go back to who we always were, we'll prove we never changed. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!