Skip to main content

Pay Attention During These Odd Times

Long walks, deep thoughts, standard routine, craving information, day-drinking, cat cuddles, playing fetch, communicating with those I crave, avoiding those I don't, trying to change the bad, trying to embrace and hold onto the good, having realistic expectations, facing reality, being accountable.
To be completely honest, the effects on daily life have been minimal. I miss work and the weekly cocktails with some new friends, but all-in-all, life is pretty much the same for me. What has changed, is the world around me, and let me tell you my friends, this blip on the radar, in what is our entire lives, is causing havoc on those whose inability to cope with everyday life and lack even the slightest ability to adapt to minuscule hiccups, is causing them to change overnight. That being said, this horrible time is doing us an odd little favor. It's bringing out the good in those we may have brushed off and bringing out the bad in those we often gave the benefit of the doubt.

I have seen more smiles, waves, and gestures of well-wishing in the past three weeks than I have ever seen in my life (and from a lot fewer people). I have seen true concern by those I often thought were wrapped tightly in the cocoon that is their little world. I've seen those telling us to be kind, slowly crumbling before our very eyes, into bitter curmudgeons. I've watched as those who I have always deemed as good people reach out more than ever. I have also watched those selfish ones use this time to prove their self-worthlessness. I have seen the slightest assistance ignored because it does not benefit them, all the while bragging to others about how they are doing fine.

I myself am in a bubble. Despite what others may think, my positivity, not hope, is that we will all be a little wiser. I've foregone blaming or crediting politicians because I've no control either way and this negativity only adds to that which I live next to every day. This virus has brought to my attention the pure idiocy of people who think holistic medicine and things like aromatherapy work if you're a simple-minded, angry, and selfish human being. It's also made me realize that true fitness cannot be judged by a six-pack or bicep width. I think emotional wellness during this time is as important, if not more, than physical fitness. I see people weakening in body, some in mind, and some in, dare I say spirit. It's been three weeks, which tells me these people were not well to begin with. Maybe on the exterior, but this pandemic's true reach is it is showing us who some people really are.

Please, please, please do not think I am trying to diminish the severity of the disease itself. I've lost at least one friend and many others have contracted it. My heart goes out to them and their families. I do not pray, but if I could give them some of my strength I would. I myself do not fear this. I am comfortable in my overall state, that I would, in time, recover. I can't say I wish this on anyone, because those I'd ever wish suffering upon are already playing the victim, so there would be no lesson to be learned. Harsh? Maybe, but bad people are bad people. I recently explained to someone that this gentle giant of a dog that I walk, senses the good and bad in people, like no other animal I've seen. Her reply was "So, yeah, he always barks at me," completely missing what she had confessed to. Her words and actions over the days that followed confirmed the canine intuitive assertion. I've known it too. This is what I've seen, both from close up and afar. The good, staying put, but still reaching out The bad, venturing out, for selfish reasons, all to further themselves while others stay in this constant state of nothingness. I'd be lying if I wasn't tempted by the sin of making my life better at the potential expense of others, but it's not who I am. Have I mentioned the irony of Christians complaining about their burdens and personal sacrifice during this outbreak and how it has coincided with Lent? Even greater, the impact it's had on Italy and the difference between how they've handled it as opposed to American Catholics?

Maybe this is my version of selfishness. I am taking this time to learn about myself, others, and society in general. I am using this time of controlled chaos to simply sit back and watch, realizing we're not an inherently good species. Kindness is not passed along genetically or through the power of suggestion via memes. It is a learned personality trait, honed over years, which only truly comes out when that person is given a choice between kindness and self-preservation. The ones that choose kindness are nothing less than heroes, no matter how small their sacrifice may be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her