Skip to main content

How Can Anyone Have Any Holiday Spirit This Year?

First night in nearly three weeks I've relaxed and watched a movie.  A shooting took place in the movie and it was a comedy.  A comedy about a true story.  It kind of made me sad, that despite it being very good, I was so numb to the one violent scene.  This week has made me numb to almost everything.  Tuesday night, I passed on a Christmas party.  I told myself it was for many reasons, but I think deep down, I don't want to celebrate this year.  Christmas isn't supposed to be about Jesus', but in reality it is about making kids happy.  Hard to feel festive this year.  Hard for many reasons.  Newtown, Connecticut is just one.  Hard to feel festive when I'm witnessing so much hatred in the world and not even the vast world I don't know, but the world I live in.  I've been called more names in the last few months than ever before in my life. Ironically, nowadays those who are touting their belief in the second amendment, don't believe in my first amendment rights, because I'm not in agreement with them.  These same people who are right to lifers are also right to death fans.  They put up silly posts about how when they miss a train and get stuck in the rain, it was really Jesus saving them from some horrible thing that they never knew about.  Well where was Jesus last Friday?  Was he looking down and saying we need this?  You can't have things both ways people. You can't have your god be a benevolent god when things are good and then say it's man's will when things are bad.  It doesn't work that way.  He's omnipotent.  If you don't know what that means, you need to figure it out and then question everything you believe in.  I'm sorry.  I am all for someone wishing people well in time of need, but let's face facts.  We're an evil people in general.  We kill and we maim and we call people names and then we says "God Bless" when someone sneezes or gets sick.  We're a whacked out culture of hypocrites.  I can't wrap my head around this tragedy, but I do know one thing and that is, it won't be the last.  We don't learn from our mistakes.  We accept these tragedies as if the word itself is a fabrication of reality. I didn't know any of these kids personally, but the hurt I have is overwhelming.  I fear for their families, that one of them might snap.  Or that a sibling or friend might grow up with such fear, they will feel the need to protect themselves or to hurt someone back to take away their pain.. Tomorrow is my last day of the year at the school.  I have four kids. Two kindergarten boys and two 2nd grade girls. For over a decade I've walked in and out and nobody paid me any mind and now the looks from everywhere are felt.  The kids are so innocent and many do not really know what has happened.  I hope they never know.  I'll leave tomorrow and wish them a happy holidays and tell them I'll see them the next class.  I have told every kids I've ever had I'll see them tomorrow, next week, next month or next year.  We all do.  We all assume, they're are young, they aren't going anywhere.  I wish I could feel the confidence this will always be.  A little part of that was lost this past week.  It won't change how I treat them or how I teach, but it will affect how I view our futures.  Net week at this time, I hope to be recovering from eating too much, surrounded by family and happy. I know at some point of every day, I'll stop and think about those who don't have that and I'll feel guilt and pain.  Life will go on for me and for most of us.  Thankfully these types of things don't happen to most of us, but they shouldn't happen to any of us.  I wish I had some blind faith to bless those families with some kind words or scripture, but the reality is, the evil that resides in our lives is stronger at times and this time, it has truly won.  That is the part I can't accept.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her