The slow year ends with only a handful of movies, but a few true gems. Tomorrow or Wednesday I'll post the complete list and my top and bottom picks and biggest surprises and letdowns. I'm always looking for suggestions and thoughts and comments on movies.
- Annabelle Creation - Absolutely terrible. Shockingly bad acting and not a single scare,
- Personal Shopper - Assayas almost makes his common mistake, but hands reigns to Stewart!
- Bluebeard - Breillat's adaptation worked for me. Loved the simplicity and cinematography.
- Eraserhead - Finally saw Lynch's "cult" classic. I wish I hadn't. Dreadful.
- Voyage in Time - Documentary with Andrei Tarkovsky and Tonino Guerra. For fans only.
- The Orphanage - One of the best and horror movies I've ever seen. So carefully crafted.
- Craig Ferguson: Tickle Fight - Amusing, but hardly vintage Ferguson.
- The Straight Story - Lynch's simple tale is taken to unexpected heights, thanks to Farnsworth.
- Wonder Woman - Gadot is fun, sexy and committed to the role, but it never clicks.
- Loving - Jeff Nichols, once again proves he's one of the best. Ruth Negga is brilliant.
- Sisters - Early De Palma stars the stunning Margot Kidder, but comes off as amateurish.
- Star Wars: A New Hope - Been almost 30 years since the last time I watched it. Still amazing.
- Los Olvidados - My least favorite Bunuel film to date. Grim, with only one likable character.
- Bluebeard - Korean psychological thriller that bites off more than it can chew. Rushed ending.
- Black Christmas - Cult classic stands up thanks to lovely Hussey and Kidder. Great Saxon!
- The Grandmaster - Wong Kar-Wei's film is aesthetically wonderful, but lacked fluidity.
- The Sacrifice - Tarkovsky's finale will leave even his most devout fans, scrambling for words.
- The Big Doll House - 70's sexploitation has Pam Grier, a bevvy of beauties and young Sid Haig
- Directed by Andrei Tarkovsky - Documentary about making of The Sacrifice. Fascinating
Top Three: Personal Shopper, The Orphanage, The Straight Story
Bottom Three: Annabelle Creation, Eraserhead, The Big Doll House
Biggest Surprise: The Straight Story
Biggest Disappointment Wonder Woman