Skip to main content

Au Revoir, 2018: A Poem

2018, oh what a year
The same in 2019 is what I fear.
It wasn't all bad, so I shouldn't be blue,
I did, in fact, gain a beautiful nephew.

The Winter was snowy, and I shoveled each day,
The irony is, for this to be done, I'm the one who pays.
The Spring came around and there was talk of a birth,
I was walking without pain, and decreasing my girth.
The Summer was spent outside reading and drinking, '
The life of someone wealthy, what was I thinking?
As Autumn stopped by for a very brief show,
I knew the cycle and anticipated snow.

I'm back working with kids and it makes me so happy,
If you knew how much I miss it, you'd probably call me sappy.
I'm trying to find inner peace, much like a lama,
I just can't seem to escape being surrounded by drama.
People around me who have so much more,
Complain and criticize, to me it's a bore.
At home, out, and even at work,
I must keep appearances, not to be a jerk.
People are obsessed with appearances and stuff,
Am I disillusioned to not want enough?

I moved away and my old life seems so far,
I live off the amount I used to spend at the bar.
People wouldn't recognize who I've become,
I don't really care, but of course, there are some.
I've relied on the friendship of a tiny few,
Trying to become someone a little bit new.
Some I've not seen in person for years,
Some have been with me for laughter and tears.
When it comes to love, I don't always show it,
I'm as bad at that, as I am a poet.

At the stroke of midnight, some champagne will burst,
I'll make a promise to make myself first.
I spent much of this year cleaning up after others,
I guess it's payback, the last laugh is my mother's.
I do what I can to make other's lives seem easier,
Even at times, if their mess makes me queasier.
I wish there were times I would speak my mind,
The younger me is getting harder to find.
I know who I am and where I want to be,
It's how to get there that is harder to see.

If 2018 did something to me, that had an effect,
It was the absence of appreciation and lack of respect.
Not from those who love me, like me, and care,
But from those who are seemingly unaware.
Of what I do when they're not here,
And when I don't I see them sneer.

So how do I make 2019 more joyous and full,
It's something my mind will constantly mull.
I just hope I'm not asking the same next December,
This feeling is so familiar, as I remember.
So is it a resolution or a fantasy to want this much more,
To not go through life, as if it's a chore?

I want to always feel as happy, as I am when I'm with Swag,
The most wonderful cat and I do mean to brag.
So what can I say to end this on a note that is brighter,
To enter this year with a burden that's lighter?
I guess I will hope for those I know to find their own peace,
To free them of stress and give their lives a new lease.

To those who will read this and those who will not,
Whether we speak or not, you are not ones I forgot.
I wish you all great happiness and good cheer,
Wishing you joy in the coming New Year!










Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her