Skip to main content

How Much Screen Time Do You Allow?

Yesterday, I had my first opportunity to see my three-month-old nephew. It was joyous, humbling, and put the importance of time into my life. My two and half-year-old niece was also there and it was both wonderful and difficult to realize I'd not seen her in over a year. Missing that year of her life has been stressful, but yesterday was magical. My eyes could not be taken off of them, and for the most part, theirs on me; except when we were in a public place with a television.

I had bought my niece a chrome book for Christmas, understanding this was jumping the gun, but wanting to be the person who pushes her educationally. I of course, do not understand the first thing about what a chrome book is or why it appears necessary for all school-aged children, because I'm from the school of thought that screens are bad. Apparently, my sister-in-law is from the same school with a more strict principle. The irony, of course, being, she and my brother are glued to their phones (before child two). So I asked her: "How much screen time is she allowed?" She said "With me? None. With your brother? That isn't enforced.

There was no judgment from me because I do know that there are things I'd view as "must see," where I'd allow, if age-appropriate her to watch with me. But I was pleased to hear it. I've long been a proponent of the thought that screen time during the first five years of life is detrimental to a child's ability to observe real-world things and understand how to interact with them. I also think this attention deficit world we live in is largely due to our obsession with screens.

I know I've written about this before, but not sure if it was here or on social media. I've written much more about how we, as adults, need to put down the phone. I saw a wonderful hashtag during Christmas called #DeviceFreeDinner. It made me happy at first and then sad when I realized this needed to be a thing. I can't imagine sitting down to a family dinner and having my phone anywhere near me, let alone on the table or in my hand.

Now, I'm not a phone guy, but I do spend a few hours a day on my laptop, mostly reading the news, history, literature, following sports, and communicating with friends who I can't otherwise. I also rarely watch TV unless it's a sporting event. I watch movies on my laptop, and yes, while my screen time during my times of solitude could be lower, it is almost nil when with another, unless of course, we're at a bar. Even then, I often lose track of who is even playing if the conversation and the drinks are flowing.

So I've thought about it and while I'm not a parent, I don't think this chart is unrealistic. It is not taken from anything and it is not scientific. It is my personal belief and I'd love to hear what yours are and even more so, why.  So how much screen time (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, TV - shows, movies, gaming) is appropriate?

0-4: None
5-7: Never more than an hour a day
8-10: No more than 10 hours a week including schoolwork.
11-13: No more than 10 hours a week, excluding schoolwork
14-17: Attempt to have no more than 14 hours per week, excluding schoolwork.

I will be honest. I made the amounts higher as I typed this to be more realistic.
I should add, a family sitting down to watch a movie once or twice a week, as long as it doesn't interfere with homework and sleep, is a wonderful bonding moment, as long as mom and dad can keep their devices down too and the movie holds some value.

I doubt I will, but I'd love to hear comments and criticisms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her