Skip to main content

Live Each Day As If It Were Your Last?

Cliches have always been a big part of daily conversation. Social media has made them obnoxiously prevalent. While my current least favorite cliche is "to the moon and back," not only for its eye-roll-inducing silliness, but for the ignored limitation on one's claim. In a universe so vast and wide, the trip to the moon and back is quite short in comparison to say, anywhere else. So why would anyone boast their love or feelings only spans where man has been?

While watching Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru, which means "To Live," it dawned on me that our view, Americans that is, is very limited. Think of a similar movie in American cinema and one immediately comes to the Christmas classic It's a Wonderful Life.  If one were to be aware of their impending doom or, in the case of George Bailey, see life if he'd never existed, you quickly realize that the bulk of the Capra movie is about self-adulation and ego. Sure, it's shown through flashbacks of selflessness, but in the end, the film is about George coming to terms with his self-worth. In Kurosawa's talk, Shimura's character has spent an entire life of service to others, mostly his job, superiors, and government. It's not until his finding out about his terminal illness that he embraces a few days of not necessarily selfishness, but living his own life. What he realizes is that life only has meaning in bringing happiness to others, something he had secured for his son, despite the elder child's doubts. He does the smallest things for others, but where the film is so clever, is that it uses selfishness to end several scenes. It's not until the man realizes that true altruism is what will bring him joy, that he can enjoy that beauty which surrounds him. His wake/eulogy brings me back to a quote credited to Jackie Robinson, although I'm sure it had been said by those who came before him; "A life is not important except in the impact it has on others." Shumirua's character and those who will be affected by his last days prove, not only for this to be true, but that man, if truly living each day as if it were his last, would not feel the guilt or shame that selfishness brings upon us.

I've also thought about this quote in terms of my life and wonder if the stress of knowing my time was limited would change me. Would I want to eat differently or treat others with a reverence that had never occurred to me previously? Would I want to give up my solitude and my joy of reading and viewing film? Would I not want to doze off after one too many vodkas, enjoying a handful of hours of blissful sleep? Why would I want the stress of knowing the end was near to impact on life's simple pleasures? Why would I want my impending doom to make others worry (something Kurosawa is skillfully adept at handling)? Would I want my finale moments to be grandiose or subtle?

I speak often of acknowledgment, but simply as part of this social contract we break daily. This religious value system that has been embedded in all of us, despite the fact, those who teach us, don't actually follow these tules. We, as humans, do not need praise or accolades, but merely acceptance. It's a minor form of love, often between strangers, and it matters. If you don't believe it, think about the number of times a checkout line has allowed you to use their pennies to adjust the change. It's the silliest thing on Earth (pennies), but it matters when it happens. I often think that is how I would like to spend my last few days. That minimal effort we so often ignore that truly does make a difference. I do not wish to think that knowledge of my death would open my eyes to my own selfish ways n any way that brings about guilt to do good deeds.

Isn't that what the quote really intends?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her