Skip to main content

This Minor Gripe Is A Microcosm Of My Life

If anyone should read this, please understand that yes, I know, this is minor. That is the point entirely.

Let me give a brief description of my living situation for anyone who may not know. I've been living for two and a half years with a married couple, both men, their dogs, my cat, and over the course of the past two years, a combination of three other tenants. I've also experienced periods of time when it felt as if their young grandkids lived here more than some of the tenants. That actually was a pleasure. One must also understand that I pay more than the other tenants, due to a slightly larger bedroom. After a little more than a year, they bought a new house, and to my surprise, they offered me a room in this one. I much prefer the old one, but personal preference is not my complaint. To my bigger surprise, when we moved, a change occurred. To the two self-diagnosed sufferers of OCD appeared to lose all desire to clean; anything! The last time I saw them clean was April 1st.....2018. Now while the excuse could be used that I am home more than they, it is in fact, not only my right to have them do this, but also their legal obligation to do so. They clean, never! I am essentially the only one who empties the dishwasher, cleans the counters, sweeps, cleans the bathrooms, washes hand towels and kitchen towels, vacuums, sweeps, etc. I also take out the garbage and recycling most of the time, which is where we get to this morning.

Yesterday, the garbage was near full as dawn broke. I added a banana peel to it and they came downstairs to start their day. One of them went to throw something out, realized the swing top would not push all the way in, lifted the top and pressed the dirty item down, making minimal room, if any. During lunch, some onions skins I threw out were easily accepted by the receptacle and I thought nothing of it. My one landlord, the same one who threw an item in during the morning hours came home and added. I even heard him mutter about having to take this out. He then watched as another tenant added more. Then he sat on the couch for well over four hours, staring at his phone. A third tenant, who happened to be moving out, added to the waste, so much so that she could not put the lid on tightly. She left and that was how it stayed. I wondered how, after six months, she'd not once taken a single bag to the trash or recycling. I wondered how she never thought to start or empty the dishwasher.

Before bed, I left it, knowing the third, much younger tenant would most likely come home and make something to eat or, at even more likely, bring home some bag of fast food. He did cook, and actually finished a carton of 24 eggs. I knew he had eggs because he tends to boil them to the point the sulfur smelling water spills over, the shells crack, and the kitchen is filled with that odiferous stench. That, coupled with the shells in the sink, allowed me to know before opening the trash. I looked at the bin, lid crooked, about to fall and then lifted it. Somehow he had managed to pack in the carton, a can which he somehow does not know is recycling and to my surprise no shells. Where did the rest go? Down the drain? I was not angry at him, because, after five-plus months, he's not once cleaned up after himself, viewing his 19-year-old age as a reason to believe his mother or father mysteriously creeps in and cleans his mess, then vanishes without a trace. No, I was upset with my landlords, who never seem to do anything, but even worse, never acknowledge when someone else does. I pulled the bag, took it to the trash, where I found the lid to the larger bin in the garage off, flies swarming the days' old bag that was already in there. I threw in the bag, found the lid and covered it, while styrofoam and paper they'd piled atop fell to the ground. I gathered that and put it back, assuming they have a special place for this since they took it out. I returned inside, wiped down the bin, then returned the lid. Sigh!

I realize this long story tells a moment in life that took about 45 seconds in its entirety, but it's the repetitive nature of these types of things that have grown on me like some parasitic moss, not hurting, but changing who I am. It's the fact that this is done because it has to be done and I do it; always. I do this at home and at work, occasionally receiving the mock surprise "Did you do this?" followed by some half-hearted acknowledgment. This gripe is not about money and in reality, it isn't about acknowledgment. I have learned that people will allow you to do until you stop, then these same people will be the very first to question why you have ceased. No, the real gripe is the feeling as if I'm living my life for other's benefit, yet when I pause to want for myself, I'm viewed as selfish or disrespectful. I think the thing that hurts me most is how much I see this behavior work. Whether it be at home, work, or out in the real world, selfishness and laziness does not breed failure as those who preach "Hard work is the key to success" would have you believe. No, getting others to do all the minuscule things, without thanks or gratitude, sets them on a path to allow others to carry them through life. I assume, deep in my psyche there is some envy, but I continue to do for others, knowing the burden grows with the number of additional things I am assumed to take on, no questions asked, because it's what I do. The garbage is out, the dogs will be fed (I get minimal money for this), their area cleaned, they will come outside, which they only do with me, I will clean the counters before they come home, the dishes will be away, and the bins will be empty. The linens will be washed, the house will be cool, and they will come home, look, see it as it was when they left, whether this is true or not, then go to sleep. Bliss.

I will be moving in 30 days and have yet to find a place and all that you've read, if you made it this far, is all in my head and creating massive amounts of anxiety for me. What if I can't find a place for just me? What if I must share common places again? What if it's worse? All bring about a tightness, but not so much as the thought,

What if I can't find a place?
I'd gladly take out the trash, no questions asked. I'd even pay to do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her