Skip to main content

Insomnia

Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. - Clifton Fadiman


I don't know if what I have is insomnia. Some people look at me and say, "it must be sleep apnea." Some people say, "you're sleeping but it's not rested sleep." Some others say, they have it too. I don't know if I clinically have insomnia, because I never went to a sleep center. I was supposed to, but my insurance lapsed and I wasn't able to do it. I also had a problem when I spoke with the woman on the phone. I asked her what the procedure was and she explained in great detail that I was to arrive about 8pm, they would hook up things to my chest, my head, my face and possibly some other parts. I would be able to read and watch TV until 11pm and then I would have to try and go to sleep. They said, to get an accurate reading I would have to sleep five full hours. So I paused, chuckled and said to the woman, "If I could sleep five straight hours, I wouldn't have called you." I also pointed out that since I was about four-years-old I have not been able to sleep on my back. I said, this doesn't sound like something that is plausible. I put it off and never had it done. So I don't know what my diagnosis would have been.

Now I don't claim to not sleep at all. I do, but it's not like the sleep I used to get when I was a child. I would get into bed at 7pm and sleep until 7am. In my teen years, I could sleep fourteen hours straight easily. No, I used to sleep alot. Fire engines couldn't wake me up. Now, as some people might now from first hand accounts, that only happens after lots of vodka. My biggest problem now is the amount of hours and more so, the quality. Oddly enough, I love to nap. I get my best sleep, an hour, maybe even ninety minutes at a time. Once maybe twice a week, I'll enjoy such a nap. Close friends say it plays a part in my insomnia, but I disagree. I feel when someone is tired they should sleep. When they aren't, they should live.

For me a normal night's sleep is going to bed around 2am and waking at 7:30am. In between that time I probably get up to go to the bathroom once or twice, I reach over and take a few sips of water five or six times. I rarely go right back to sleep. Sometimes it takes 10-15 minutes, sometimes it takes hours. So I usually get about three to four hours. I've gone five days without getting more than three hours of sleep in a night. I'll usually crash that last day and nap for two hours, but then only get a few hours at night and the process repeats. So this blog entry sounds like I'm looking for some type of pity party. It's not, because I am rarely tired.

In the movie Fight Club, the narrator states "When you have insomnia, you're never really asleep... and you're never really awake." Sometimes I feel that way, because my imagination during my dreams seems all too odd, but my daydreams seem just as odd. The things that strike me while awake, are for all intent and purposes, not normal. I notice things most do not. Some think it's a charming quality, some think it's odd. Basically it's become me. Things like blogs and Facebook have given me a canvas to talk about these daydreams and nightmares. There are times when I am in a thought during the day and I hear the honk of a car. I slam on the brakes and realize that my mind was somewhere a million miles away. Not behind the wheel of a car. It's not often, but it can be scary.

Some people say my full-time alertness is a fantasy. They point out I yawn all the time. I do yawn all the time. It's almost like a reaction to everything. I yawn when I'm bored, I yawn when I'm frustrated, I yawn when I'm having fun. I am always yawning. I yawn morning, noon and night. I think I always have. I hate insomnia in some ways, because I feel it's probably affecting my health, but I love it in other ways, because it allows me time to explore. Sometimes that exploration can be hours spent looking up information about something I've been interested in on the Internet. Sometimes it's self exploration and thinking about the past, the present and the future. Many times, it allows me time to watch movies or read something most people would put off for a later date. When I have these things on my mind or a mental list of things I want to discover, I do them immediately. Sleep is not an option. Sure, there are things I could do, like clean my apartment, but those aren't the things I think about when I can't sleep. I think about what can be done, what can be learned or experienced. I have had some of my best conversations with people about a bevy of subjects in the wee hours of the morning. So insomnia isn't always bad.

I know that if things don't change and my sleep patterns don't become more normal, my health will suffer. I'll sleep when I get a chance, and I'll enjoy what is around me while I'm awake. Like so many have been quoted as saying before, "I'll sleep when I'm dead." Who knows, if that saying is true, I might outlive everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her