Skip to main content

The Rap Battle

I've recently been having an argument with a friend of mine regarding the validity of Jay-Z being listed as one of the top rappers of all-time. Most people wouldn't give this argument two seconds of thought, because it doesn't really matter. To me it does. This person believes that Biggie was the best and Jay is second. This boils my blood. To me, the thought of putting Jay-Z on a list higher than Tupac Shakur, Rakim, Dr. Dre, Chuck D and Nas is silly, but this is where the real argument comes. People that like Jay-Z hate Nas and vice versa. They had a very public beef years ago and they said some horrible things about each other. Here's my big issue. This is how rap used to be decided; in battles. Now usually these things were settled face to face, but many times they carried over into albums. My friend is entitled to his opinion, but in this war, Nas destroyed Jay-Z on his hit Ether. Fans called in and voted and by a fairly large margin even Jay-Z's fans admitted Nas won. Even people at Jay-Z's record company admitted it was brutal. Obviously, from a money making standpoint, Jay-Z survived.

There are two types of fans of rap music. There are those who like it because of what they hear on the radio and then there are the ones who like it because it defines their culture, it defines their situations and it defines the times we all live in. Being a suburbanite now, I realize it's hard to truly embrace real rap. Sure, it's fun to listen to stuff like Bust A Move, Funky Cold Medina and Big Pimpin', but that's not rap. These songs are known as much for the T&A that dances in their videos as they are for their beats and lyrics. Upon further investigation you realize that the lyrics are silly and the songs are pretty stupid. But when you listen to songs like On My Block by Scarface or Six Feet Deep by Geto Boys, you are hearing songs about the woes that face inner city kids. Most of the songs sung by guys like Jay-Z are what they think is going on. How does a guy who prances around parties with Beyonce know what the streets are like. He's become a celebrity. Tupac and Biggie, stayed close to their roots and it got them both shot. Possibly because of each other, but that's actually not likely. Jay-Z has lost touch with what hip-hop is about, but luckily for him, he has the money to convince the new fans that this is what it is all about.

When I was 13-15 living in Brooklyn, my counterpart was playing in the streets and parks of Eastchester. Kids who didn't grow up in a urban city, don't know what it's like to get their bikes stolen from under them or to have a knife or gun pulled on them. They don't know what it's like to get jumped in a subway station by five or six kids twice their size. I do. Hip-Hop isn't a style of music, it's a lifestyle. It's become a trendy word for anything that rappers do, but it was more than that when I was a kid. Graffiti artist were hip-hop icons back in the day. DJ's were too. The MC's were the kings though. Eminem is one of the greatest freestyle artists in the world, but if you watch enough of his older battles, you realize they are carefully structured and for the most part preplanned. This doesn't take away from one's abilities, but I remember a time when guy's like LL Cool J and Kool Mo Dee would literally go at it off the top of their heads. The game has definitely changed.

I'm not saying that everyone isn't entitled to their own opinions on music. Who am I to say someone is wrong for liking something? What bothers me is I don't think Jay-Z appreciates the people who have come before him. He thinks he's bigger than everyone and so do his fans. Last year he came out with Empire State of Mind w/Alicia Keys and it became a mega hit. Derek Jeter approaches the plate to the song and they performed it at the World Series. Worst part is, aside from Alicia Keys beautiful chorus, it's one of the dumbest songs ever written. The lyrics are absolutely ridiculous. What pisses me off about this song is that years ago Nas had a song called New York State of Mind that was gritty and really gave you a picture of the city. Even earlier Kool G Rap and DJ Polo had Streets of New York, which is a classic. It just seems that Jay-Z loves to paint a picture of him being this big thug, but his raps are all as heavy as a feather. He's a pop star, not a rapper.

Now I could go on and on about my knowledge of rap music and try to prove my point, but it's not going to change anyone's mind. Why should it? Everyone is entitled to like whatever they want. People laugh when I say it, but I think Lady Gaga is the next Madonna. I think she's going to be around for a long time. She's had two albums and has about 10 hits. Who else has done that? Madonna and Mariah Carey. That's about it. Even my friends beloved Beyonce hasn't been able to do it. Her last album was awful, with the exception of Sweet Dreams.

So how does one end this rap dilemma? I could say my knowledge is better because I went to school with Mike D of the Beastie Boys. I could talk about playing Basketball with Biz Markie. I could talk about hanging out Ecstasy and Jalil of Whodini in the Gowanus projects. It doesn't make me anymore knowledgeable about rap, it just makes me understand where it's coming from a little better. Sadly, today people think that rap is good if everyone else likes it. Rap has always been about telling a story that people could relate to. Painting a clear picture of an urban setting with all its warts. Somewhere along the line, people like Jay-Z forgot that inner city kids can't relate to spending their days on yachts and driving expensive cars. Unfortunately they can relate to a song with gunshots and stories of dying young.

Comments

  1. I agree but Jay-Z's talent on Reasonable Doubt and The Black Album cannot be argued. Nas NY State of Mind is insane and is on a completely different level. Jay-Z was good early in his career. Then Jay-z was bad. Jay-Z made The Black Album and was significant again. Now he makes songs that are radio safe and once again sucks. Nas put away all doubt with Ether... T.I. is the future!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her