Skip to main content

The Screenplay

For years now, I have wanted to write a screenplay. I think ever since I watched the movie Hurlyburly I've wanted to. There's something about dialogue that really gets me. The best movies, to me, are the ones that have sharp dialogue that not only makes it's point, but has you reciting the lines later in life. Now Hurlyburly wasn't a great movie, but the dialogue was so quick and razor sharp at times it was brilliant. I know it was written as a play and while I'm not sure who starred in that production,I do know Sean Penn nailed the main role in the movie.

Recently I've thought more and more about this endeavor. I've been without a computer at home for months now and in many ways I think it's my own safety net to keep me from pursuing this endeavor. I want to write something good, but I'm afraid it will be crap. Much like this blog, there are times when I'm typing away, smirking at my brilliance only to write some piece of shit that I wish I hadn't the following day. Other times I go back and I'm surprised by it.

I've toyed with different plots. A man who has always bought everything in life that he wants. Even people. And how this evolves into an obsession when he can't have something. Of course, I'd be writing this, so it would lean towards a dark conclusion. The story is in my head but it's all of four or five paragraphs. I've also thought of writing a bar scene. Something between Cheers and Barfly. Sordid characters, living somber lives and maybe here and there a shimmering light might come through the blinds of this bar. I fear that I would take from my own experiences and quite possibly offend those I care about or even worse be a sequel to Trees Lounge. There I go, with delusions of grandeur. Back to earth, Mr. Hopper. I've also thought and spoke as recently as yesterday of putting my experiences as a camp counselor into print. A modern day Meatballs. Although the tales would be more crass and at times, some may even think they are bordering on abuse. I've also thought to write of my life, had I stayed in Brooklyn past 1985. To be realistic this wouldn't have ended well.

I don't know what my final choice will be. I know I want to do it. I know a novel isn't my style. I need there to be multiple voices (and not just the ones in my head). I can't fill page after page with descriptive verse. It's not my style. I need someone to say something, I need reactions. I need stimulus. What I need is a vision. I'm waiting for mine to come so I can put it into words. Many words. Funny words. Mean words. Sarcasm and wit. I just need that push. Like Eddie said in Hurlyburly "I'm my own biggest distraction."

Comments

  1. Hop, no matter what you write about, your own life and those closest to you will find their way into the story. There is always some aspect of you and the people around you to influence your plot lines. Do not let that be a hindrance to your creative process. People cannot be offended just because they know you and may have influenced whatever plotline you may follow. Stay away from using names and dates as much as possible and take the facts and stretch it to suit your needs (and avoid any cases of slander).

    As for your plot lines, all are good ones to follow, but I think your bar scenario lends itself to be the most chock full of possibilites. The setting also allows overlap of some of your ideas, from the man who has it all to the camp counselor (possible drinking buddies?) I agree also with the need for more dialogue driven movies.

    Don't be afraid to tap into the voices in your head as well as your life experiences. There is a story in all of us. I too have stopped and started many stories and need to get the right one out, so I know the internal struggle of the writer. That said, I would be more than happy to bounce any ideas around you may have.

    Good luck with the creative journey!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her