Skip to main content

The Last Supper (Breakfast & Lunch Too)


 From the title, you’d think this blog was my take on the infamous Passover Seder involving that guy who looks like Frank Zappa with a Spanish name.  Nah, that’s not in the cards for today.  This one is going to be about a little game that people, especially chefs like to play.  It’s your last supper. You’re death row final meal.  If you had one day on earth and you could have whatever you wanted to eat, what would it be?  Instead of the final meal, I’m going to make a day of this fantasy.

Despite having the luxury of having no restrictions, I don’t think I’ll go overboard.  I don’t want to eat tiger meat in the Serengeti or have a croissant on the Eiffel Tower. I also am not going to be silly and choose Mom’s meatloaf, although there is nothing wrong with that choice.  I’m going to choose the things that I find comforting, slightly decadent, but nothing too extreme.

A great day starts with a great meal.  For all the years of my life, Sunday Brunch has been the best breakfast of the week.  I’ve never been a sweets person, so there will be no pancakes, French toast or crepes.  A hearty Irish breakfast always hits the spot, but doesn’t get judgement day status.  Cold pizza is a great bite the day after an epic night of drinking, but isn’t on this list.  My final meal will actually be fairly simple.  A thick right-out-of-the-oven sesame bagel (from Scarsdale Bagel), a generous schmear of Philadelphia cream cheese, one thick slice of a beefsteak tomato, slice of red onion and lox.  I can’t begin to count the number of Sundays that have started with this breakfast, so why not end it the way it usually starts.  And of course, let’s not forget the coffee. 

Lunch is the Jan Brady of meals.  It’s neglected, often skipped over and many times seen as a matter of convenience over necessity.  How many times have you grabbed a roast beef sandwich, because the guy at the deli counter had it out and you were in a rush?  That’s not to say a nice rare roast beef and may sandwich doesn’t hit the spot, but it’s the last day on earth.  You’re not hitting the deli. My go to lunch as a child was tomato & provolone on semolina with mayo.  It was the simplest sandwich, but was delicious.  This is my last day though.  I’m hitting Piper’s Kilt for the finale.  A medium rare (depending on whose working it could be rare, which is fine) burger topped with bleu cheese and bacon with a side of potato salad.  It is my last day, so I might get wings or a bowl of chili first, but the important part is the burger.  Something about the pink beef, spilling out its jus, melding with the tanginess of the bleu cheese and the sweetness of the bacon.  Perfection in every bite.

So, it’s my last day.  Do I indulge in a second lunch?  A chorizo burrito or a bucket of KFC?  Steamers in clarified butter or butternut squash in a sage brown butter sauce?  A simple grilled cheese or hit up a sushi bar, let the chef decide and go with the Omikase?  Nah, I want to enjoy my dinner, so I’ll settle for a snack.  Some creamy hummus and baba ghanouj from Sahadi’s in Brooklyn, with some warm pitas.  The perfect snack at any time.

Traditional New York Jewish and then the epitome of Americana for the first two meals and a trip to the Middle East for my snack.  So where to for dinner?  Do I go French with a little Coq au Vin or Duck L’Orange?  Maybe over to Spain for Paella or Italy for some for some Frutti de Mar.  Do I go to Mexico for chili relleno or Peru for lomos saltados or some anticuchos? Maybe a trip to Peter Luger for a porterhouse with creamed spinach.  So many choices, but I think I’m going to continue to keep it simple.  While the cuisine doesn’t mesh, I’m going to start my meal with a dozen escargot.  Warm French bread to dip into the garlicky butter. I can’t think of anything more simple and more decadent.  For the main course, I can’t think of anything more delicious than perfectly cooked lamb chops. Lightly seasoned with nothing more than salt, pepper and a little rosemary, coupled with some nice lemony orzo and a bottle of Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc.

I’ve never really been a dessert person, but for this day, I’m going to make an exception.  There are only two desserts I truly love and those are my mother’s cheesecake and my brother’s pecan pie.  One, I know I can never have again and the other is just not likely.  So for this day, I’m going in another direction.  I think the best dessert is a nice cheese plate.  Some thinly sliced French bread and a fine selection of cheeses.  A creamy camembert, a salty ricotta salata, a soft chevre and distinct, bold English stilton. Obviously, I could pick twenty other cheeses, but I’ll take these, with a few slices of hard salami and a some briny olives.  Wash it down with a nice port and my final day is complete.   

Now some may question this finale due to its simplicity.  I remember Lidia Bastianich saying her last meal choice would be roasted chicken and new potatoes.  Oddly enough, I think I’ve had days where I’ve actually had all these things.  The simple things in life are sometimes the best.  Some people like to travel, but to me, nothing beats a warm cup of early morning coffee, on a porch, while watching a cool spring rain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her