Skip to main content

Jeremy Lin

Yesterday I watched more NBA basketball than Ive watched in most of the last few seasons.  I had to get a glimpse of the phenom.  Linsanity is plaguing everyone I know and I had to see it.  I had watched Friday nights game, but was drinking and talking and didn't get the full effect.  After Friday, I was unimpressed.  So yesterday, against a quality team, I was excited. 

I knew two things going in.  One, it was in MSG and the game of the week, so the refs would keep it close. Two, the Knicks were home and being it was a Sunday game, the celebs would be out.  Neither disappointed.  Now here's my thing about the NBA.  We all know it's fixed.  The ref that got nabbed for gambling basically said who was dirty and that left about three ball boys and one exec out.  Anyone who gambles, knows you never bet basketball, because the fix is always in.  Home teams win at an alarming rate and you can track the over under by who is referee.  So the Knicks won.  Got one call in the fourth and were the recipients of four wonderful no calls in the last four minutes that probably had swung the score by about six point.  Of course that doesn't include the baseball pass to J.R. Smith who stutter stepped, then dragged his foot and then shot the ball.  A travel in every game, in every country, in every arena, not called Madison Square. 

Now, did  Jeremy Lin have a good game?  Absolutely.  He was over 50% from the field and he knocked down a key 3-pointer.  But here's what bothers me.  On at least six occasions, he drove to his right (he has no left hand) and ran into a pile of defenders.  During the first 40 minutes of the game, this was a turnover or missed shot.  In the last few minutes it was a foul.  He had a plus 14 score in the +/- line and that baffles me.  He had seven turnovers in the second half, but if you watched closely, almost every time he turned the ball over, the Mavs almost immediately got called for something that gave the Knicks the ball back.  Now listen, I'm not saying the kid can't play the game.  But here's my reasoning. You give the most average NBA point guard 20 shots, six of them 3-pointers,, then six free throws and he's going to score 18 points.  There's a reason why every year, a superstar gets hurt and someone emerges.  It's called opportunity.  Back in my heyday, if you put me on a basketball court and gave me 20 shots, I was scoring 20 points.  No doubt about it.  I was going to make 40% of my shots and half of them were going to be 3's.  Was I great?  No, but it's called having no conscience. 

Jeremy Lin is a nice player.  You can see that he has some game, but he's an NBA player.  They all do.  Knicks fans will remember J.R. Smith coming out and knocking down his first three 3's and finishing with 15 huge points.  What they will forget is that he shot 37% from the field and 33% from the arc.  Awful.  But it doesn't matter.  Knicks fans will forget that Lin turned the ball over almost 1 out of every eight times down the court.  They will praise his five steals, but neglect the fact that three of them were fouls.  This is the NBA.  People will call me a hater.  This is why I don't watch the NBA.  It's a joke. David Stern needed a player in the 80's to change the game from the boring X's and O's game it was to a highlight reel.  He invented Michael Jordan.  Then Shaq came along and the game changed.  That became boring and he invented Kobe.  The lockout killed the NBA and it needed new blood.  Yao retired and China is one of the biggest NBA moneymakers there is.  Stern needed something to keep their interest.  Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce Jeremy Lin. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her