Skip to main content

Thankful: 2012 Edition

Three years ago I wrote about my disdain for the kiddies table.  Two, about those I've been thankful for through the years.  Last year, I thanked individuals who really impacted my year in a positive way.  This, year, and please don't run away if you're reading this.  I'm not that thankful.  I've had quite possibly the worst  year of my life.  Constant leg pain like one wouldn't believe, a hospital stay, economic woes I've never known and a falling out with nearly 90% of the people I spent most of 2011 with. I should be a miserable fuck, complaining about my life, the way I debated politics this year, but I won't.

I'm thankful for my family.  Who has helped me out emotionally, financially and quite frankly just doing little things that have really gotten me by.  My father allowing me to stay with him when money was tight, so as to save my money for bills not food.  For lending me a couple of bucks when things seemed bleak.  My brother for really stepping up and asking what he could do, even though it was an inconvenience.  For the rides he's given me, driving many minutes to get me to drive me 7 minutes away only to return right home.  Taking an hour out of his life four times a week to save me a great deal of money.  To my grandmother, for reminding me that things will be good and they will be bad and at the end of the day, that's life.

To a friend who has picked me up from work and saves me almost $50 a week.  To another, who when she can drive me home the other day.  To the friend who who forgave me for my silliness, when he didn't have to.  To the friend who reminds me it's not the time we spend together, but what we say.  To the friend who is always there in the most subtle of ways, lending a hand if needed, but being an ear.  To the friend who during a rough spot brought me food.

To those friends who aren't friends anymore.  Maybe you taught me something as friends, but you've taught me more since.  You've taught me to keep my guard up and realize that people are generally out for themselves. I know this, but forget it often.  To those who challenged me, but then couldn't face the consequences of being wrong.  To those who despite my constant work ethic, have tried to take what matters so much to me away, I won't go away.  Others have tried and I'm still there.  Go, get your professionals, you're more experienced, your names.  Give them the chance to surpass me and I'll still be standing at the end of the day.

To those I don't know who have stepped up.  To the woman who recognized my procrastinating ways, lit a fire under my ass and saved me thousands of dollars.  To the woman, who despite my not getting paperwork in on time, because I was away, pushing it through and getting me money that was owed to me.  To the gentleman who gave me a break when I needed it most...Sir I know the hammer will drop, but I think I can handle it now.

To those "new" friends.  Those, most of whom I knew, but have become closer with, I thank you.  For one, thanks for stimulating me mentally and getting me at such a young age.  You're a special person.  For my friend who arrives late at night, doesn't stay long, puts up with my drunken taunts, but at the end of the day always asks "you OK."  I know he has a rough road in the near future and while I'm not a man of prayer, I hope I can be there for him when he experiences his loss.  To my special friend, whom I see as almost a sister.  Her and her family have shown me nothing but love and our times together, I cherish. She makes me laugh and just enjoy life.  I value her so much.

Finally, to a friend, who is always there in spirit.  Who lifts me up with her kind words, that I don't deserve.  Who despite woes of her own asks of me first.  For her, I will simply say, there have been many over the years, but tomorrow, during my feast, her and her family will be the first ones on my mind.

To everyone who has made a difference. To those who have taken time out of their days to say hello.  Ask, how are you?  To those I've argued with, laughed with, cried with and just shared a moment with.  To all of you, I say Thanks, may you all have a healthy and happy Thanksgiving.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her