Skip to main content

The Best Songs I've Heard Recently

This list might surprise you if you've heard the songs, because they aren't all knew songs.  These are all just songs I've heard for the first time in the past six months.  They cross different genres and there is no order.  They are just songs that touched me in some way.  Some are because of the lyrics, some the melodies or some simply because they say something to me for whatever reason.

Heart Healthy - The Forecast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p7XujdRlb4
I first heard of the Forecast on a video game. That songs was called the These Lights and is one of my favorites.  This song, just speaks to me in it's simplicity about doing whatever it takes to be with someone.  The song is literally nothing but a repetitious chorus.

The House That Built Me - Miranda Lambert  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQYNM6SjD_o
My inability to go visit my old neighborhood more and to spend time on the street I grew up, remember happier times and maybe gain some perspective on where I am and where I come from.  Even being in Brooklyn reminds me of a special time.  A time where I was innocent and carefree.  A time when my mother was at full health.

The Wood Brothers - Luckiest Man.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ObGb-xgJgc
Just a song about accepting one's fate and smiling back in times of woe and just thinking to yourself, you're alive.  Things are good.  We all need a little more of this mental outlook.  Myself included.

Lights - Ellie Goulding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NKUpo_xKyQ
Very simply, the best disco song I've heard in the last few months.

Dance with the Devil - Immortal Technique.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggxTtnKTMo
The most haunting beat combined by the scariest and most disturbing story in rap history.  Immortal Technique should be up there with the best. Spits like Rakim and lyrics like Scarface, but all on the underground.  Warning, this song is disturbing

Skinny Love - Birdy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT67liGjZhw
I know it's not her song, but she does a better job than Bon Iver.  Her youth and innocence adds another dimension to it.  Just says a lot about young/lost love.  Something we all can relate to.

Breathe Me - Sia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSH7fblcGWM
I posted this video online last night after hearing it again for the first time in a few months and this is the inspiration for the blog.  Such a beautiful and sad song about one's desperation to not live in the world alone, filled with hurt and pain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her