Skip to main content

My Dream Home

As people who know me fairly well have probably heard, I live in the world's smallest apartment.  I absolutely hate it, but not for the reasons you might think.  I do not hate it for it's minuscule size.  I won't go into the actual size, because I don't want the focus of this little story to be bogged down by people's amazement on how I haven't gone out of my mind, but let's just say, I can literally reach my fridge and TV while laying on my bed and a walk to the bathroom take less than five steps. Yes really.

So the other day I'm looking at a website that featured micro-houses and then some other small home sites and it got me thinking to what I wanted from a home.  In the early 70's my parents bought some land in Andes, NY and with basically no experience at all, they invited some more handy friends away for the weekend to build a house. They slept in tents and started construction on the house they knew they wanted.  The basic cabin was one large room with a ceiling that slanted from low to high from back to front.  The front of the home was an L-shape that featured floor to ceiling windows that looked over a hilly meadow down to our pond.  The L was a nook for which was perfectly sized to hold nothing but a queen sized bed.  There was a stove in the middle of the cabin which heated it in the winter and a small kitchen area.  Oh, did I mention there was no electricity?  Across from the master bed there was a single bed against the wall with a large window on the side.  There was a back room, which featured a bunk bed and some shelving.  That was the cabin.  Simple and plain. Our dining room table still serves as my father's kitchen table. A great three fold table that served as my TV stand for many years.  We had no plumbing either and moon lit walks to the outhouse were sometimes scary for newcomers.  We washed in the sometimes frigid water which spilled out from our pond and sustained ourselves quite a bit on our garden.  Well whatever the deer and rabbits were willing to leave us. My parents sold it for what at the time was a huge profit and regretted it every day after.  The house, to them, was perfect.  So what would my perfect house be like.

First off, my house would be small.  It would have to all lay on one floor, because my knees simply can't take stairs anymore.  It wouldn't need tons of property, but my desire would be to have large sliding glass doors, with a small deck attached pointing west, so that every night I might catch some magical sunset.  The front, would have a porch, with at least two chairs, so myself and whoever might care to join, could sit on a rainy day and enjoy the sounds of water hitting the roof.  One of life's true simple pleasure is sitting protected with a steady rain, sipping a hot cup of coffee on a cool spring or autumn morning, paper in hand, with the travesties of the world seemingly so far away.

The interior would be very quaint.  I would love to have a kitchen, big enough to be able to indulge in my passion for attempting to cook gourmet meals, but small enough to enjoy a cozy breakfast for two on a Sunday morning in December.  Ideally a short strip with counters on both sides, one with the sink and oven, the other counter space to work, opening up at the end, to a breakfast nook with a built in booth, a large window to let the sun in on those mornings or the stars during dinner.  The dining room would be small, opening up into the living room, if it ever needed to be adjusted for a group.  The details of the living room are unimportant.  A large round table surrounded by couches and chairs.  Hell the room could be round for all I care.  My biggest pet peeve is everyones desire to have a television be the focal point of their living room.  This frat boy mentality only works well if that is your desired guest list, but my desire would be to have a setup where nobody is on the end or in the corner, but everyone is part of the circle.  Cheese, dips, pate and charcuterie donning the center on a table or more likely a giant lazy Susan, like those you find in some Chinese restaurants.  The walls would be adorned with bookshelves and bright vibrant paintings celebrating life. A hidden stereo would play on a surround sound system when needed.  The room would also house a fireplace.

The master bedroom would be simple.  A bed, cut into the walls, much like my parents house, with walk in closets on either side. My view from beneath the sheets would be of a magnificent fireplace, in between two large windows. Who needs a TV in bed, when you have a fire to look at? I don't take baths often, but would love to go a little upscale on the bathroom, with one of those showers where jets hit you from all areas. There is nothing better than a good shower at the end of the day or to start the day, although I do find them so relaxing, that on many weekends, I will shower to get ready to go out and find myself asleep within ten minutes of getting out. There would also be two smallish guest rooms, with the bare necessities.  Queen size bed, small dresser and access to the guest bath from either side.  I would also want a small office  Nothing more than a desk for my laptop and printer with a window to get some natural light.

So far, this sounds like a fairly boring house.  It's probably no more than 800 sq. feet.  Below the home however is where I too would be greedy.  The basement would cover the same square footage that the rest of the house covered, but there would be three very distinct sections.  There would be a laundry room, which would have a shoot, where I could drop laundry from the bedroom down into a laundry basket. There would be a dumb waiter so that I might deliver snacks from the kitchen to any guests who might be present for a card games, to shoot some pool or watch the game.  I would have televisions on the walls on one side, with ample seating for the guys to come over for a game, but on the other side, I would have an enclosed room with nothing but huge pillow chairs and large television for my own mini movie theater.  The seating would be limited, being that I absolutely abhor watching movies with other people, but do realize cuddling with that someone special, while watching a film is another of life's simple pleasures.  A small half bath would also reside downstairs.

I don't need much in terms of a backyard, but if it was a more rural setting, a subtle hill leading to a pond might be nice, but if I was to be in a more urban or suburban setting, I think I might like a stone patio, with two round picnic tables, a grill and some grass area for kids to play.

To be honest, even in my own dream, I've gone further than I wanted.  The reality is that I don't need the guest rooms or the study, the massive downstairs or the mini-theater.  I don't need two fireplaces or even the dining room.  The times I'm happiest is when I'm with one person who is special or the handful who mean the most to me and for that, I only need a small space, because I feel those who need so much space to entertain are only entertaining the fantasy that so many people matter.  I know who does and seating is limited.


Comments

  1. Hey Jon - have you seen this company? This guy has done some amazing things with these houses. Sounds like it's right up your alley:

    http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that website and could easily live in one of those. The one that has one side that is almost all glass is exceptional. It's got everything anyone could need....as long as theu don't have any friends, haha! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her