Skip to main content

The Last Supper (aka Death Row Meal) - Week Addition

We've all played the game.  Great chefs around the world even do it.  It's called many things, but most often, it's called the "Death Row" game.  Your life is about to be taken.  You have one last request granted.  The final meal.  I've always said, mine would the most simple thing.  Lamb chops.  Plain and simple. What if this wish was granted for a week?  What if you could design a 21 course send off?  What would you select?  I'm definitely going to forget some items and this may change one day, but right now, if given the opportunity, what would I select?  I'm only giving my self one stipulation.  I can not select the same thing twice, although the same ingredients may be repeated but not identically.  I will choose a breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I'm not a dessert person, but for this, I'll add a dessert course.  I should also add that not everything is going to be some glamorous meal.  Sometimes, it's something as simple as a grilled cheese that brings back memories of our childhood that makes out senses tingle.

Monday
Breakfast: English Muffin w/cream cheese, sliced avocado & tomato. Coffee.
Lunch: Chorizo Burrito from Burrito Poblano with salsa roja, salsa verde and sour cream with a bottle of Jarritos lime/lemon soda.  Chips and Salsa.
Dinner: Orange, soy & honey marinated Swordfish over orzo with snap peas. Cloudy Bay Sauvingnon Blanc.
Dessert: Lemon Sorbet and a glass of prosecco.

Tuesday

Breakfast: Breakfast burrito of fried eggs, bacon, cheddar, salsa & green onions. Coffee.
Lunch: Bowl of chili, with cheddar and chopped raw onion, crackers, Marie Sharp's Habanero sauce and cold pint of Dogfish Head Imperial 90 Minute IPA
Dinner: Roasted whole duck, roasted red potatoes, green beans in butter and garlic. Wish I remembered the Vineyard, but a delicious Amarone would be nice.
Dessert: Fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries with a dollop of creme fraiche and a glass of Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque..

Wednesday

Breakfast:  Banana pancakes with hot maple syrup and clementine wedges on side. Coffee.
Lunch: Chef's Salad w/Ranch dressing with a glass of minty iced tea.
Dinner: The Porterhouse @ Peter Luger. Thick cut bacon, onion and tomato salad with Luger sauce, creamed spinach, hash browned potatoes. The wine doesn't matter, you're there for the porterhouse.
Dessert: If I'm at Luger's, their hot fudge sundae with extra schlag. Bailey's on the rocks.

Thursday

Breakfast: Three egg omelet with feta and fresh herbs. Croissant with butter.  Coffee.
Lunch: Bleu Cheese bacon burger at Piper's Kilt with potato salad. Pint of Guinness.
Dinner: Sauerbraten (Ideally my mother's), red cabbage slaw and boiled potatoes served with a cold Affentaler Riesling.
Dessert: Our family friend's (who is part owner of Moosewood restaurant in Ithaca) lemon tart.  Espresso.

Friday

Breakfast: Traditional Irish breakfast - two fried eggs, bacon rashers, Cumberland sausage, fried tomato, beans, black and white pudding, potatoes and brown bread. Strongest coffee you can find.
Lunch: BLT with mayo and coffee milkshake (Funny, I don't even like ice cream and it's second time).
Dinner: Hummus, baba ganoush, olives, feta to start.  Moussaka with a bottle of Stags Leap Cabernet Sauvignon.
Dessert: Proscuitto wrapped figs, stuffed with gorgonzola with Cockburn port.

Saturday

Breakfast: Corned beef hash, bacon, two fried eggs with whole wheat toast at any good Greek diner. Coffee.
Lunch: Grilled cheese with tomato and bacon.  Bowl of ice cold gazpacho. Absolut Mandarin and club.
Dinner: Paella served with many bottles of Alamos Malbec.
Dessert: My brother's pecan pie.

And now, we've gotten to the final day.  What will I want for my final day?  Over the top? Old standards?

Sunday
Breakfast: Sesame bagel from Scarsdale Bagels, cream cheese, Nova Scotia lox, thick slice of beefsteak tomato, thin slice of raw onion.  One hard boiled egg, bacon, grapefruit juice and coffee.


Lunch: Shepherd's Pie (authentic, with lamb not beef) and a pint of Bass Ale with a shot of McCallen's 18.
Dinner: Escargot for starters, then pan grilled lamb chops seasoned with nothing more than salt, pepper and rosemary. Mashed potatoes, string beans and some cooked garlicky spinach. Once again, I'll trust Dad with the wine.
Dessert: My mother's cheesecake. The best in the world.  To this day, nobody that has ever had it knows what the hell she did to it, but nothing compared.  It was by far my favorite dessert and since she died, I have not really eaten any desserts and the few times I've had cheesecake it just doesn't do it for me. A strong French/Mexican roast blend of Sahadi's coffee.

I'm sure other things will pop into my head. Throughout these days, I'd have to find time for a cheese plate of Welsh Cheddar, French Chevre and Camembert and an English Stilton.  I'd have to find some time for a bag of Doritos  Hell, I haven't had a gyro yet.  No pizza from Louie & Ernie's or Lincoln Lounge.  Where is a simple peanut butter sandwich? Fried chicken or wings?  A traditional Brooklyn egg cream has to be in there right?  I make a Philly cheese steak almost every week, but not on here. No sushi or sashimi?  A final week without uni?  Come on?  What was I thinking trying to limit this to one week.  I should have done a month.

But honestly, life could end after this week.  No problem.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her