Skip to main content

Ask Yourself One Question - Marriage Equality

We've all been there.  Maybe it was in high school. Maybe it was college or after.  Hell, maybe it was in 6th grade.  Remember that first time, you had a special someone and it ended and you had no control and neither did they.  I remember leaving my school in eighth grade.  I knew I'd only be miles away, but deep down I knew I'd never get to date Jenny.  We'd been in school for five years together and I had a crush on her for two. Distance tore us apart. Then there was the girl in high school.  I liked her, but she didn't like me that way.  Friends I was told.  The pain consumed me.  I laid awake thinking about her.  It wasn't meant to be and I had no control and it tore me apart.  The girl in college.  I liked her, but my age wasn't what she was looking for.  She was 19 and I was 26.  Age tore us apart.  The girl in camp, I was too afraid to talk to. Years went by and who knows if she was interested. I was afraid of having my heart broken.  Fear tore us apart.  The girl I thought was the one.  Her baggage, plus mine, made it so a brief vacation for her, turned into the last time were together.  Circumstances tore us apart.

The last three days I've thought about all the loves I've had.  Some brief. Some long.  All mattered in my life. All taken away by some force of nature, circumstance or timing that I couldn't for one second control.  It tears me apart just thinking about it now.  I think about every one of them and what could have been.  What if that timing was perfect and the stars were aligned and then something magical happened?  We fell in love or stayed in love.  We lived happily ever after?  Then, what if all those stars, were suddenly struck from the sky.  What if because these women were men, I was told it wasn't legal for us together?  What if our love was so strong it bonded us like no two other had ever been bound together?  What if that love was deemed illegal?

When we are young, we are patted on the head, maybe hugged and told by our mothers and fathers that one day we'll find our true love and spend the rest of our lives happily married.  Our two souls, becoming one, for eternity.  Now what if that dream of love was taken away, because of something we couldn't control.  What would we do? Would we give up?  Would we turn our backs on our hopes and dreams?  Would our friends and family abandon us, because a small percentage of powerful people in our society viewed our love as vile and a sin? Would we abandon each other?

Of course we wouldn't.  Nobody should ever have to be ashamed of who they love.  That is what we are asking people to do.  We are asking little kids who have grown up to accept their parents as liars.  We're asking them to accept that they are so different they can't have what most of us have.  We're asking them to admit their differences are unnatural.  We're asking them to accept that our religions, our governments and society in general doesn't view them as equals.  We're asking them to accept that all men and women aren't created equally and they are those which are unequal.

Now ask yourself one simple question.  Would you accept this for yourself?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her