Skip to main content

Interesting Things I've Learned From Facebook Conversations, Debates and Stalking

I'm going to try and divide this into a a bit of all aspects of all three categories in the subject line.  Some are incredible.  Fairly obvious in fact.  Some are quite shocking, even if only to me.  This isn't purposely pointed at anyone in particular, despite some obvious examples, but just stuff that has come to my attention through getting to know people better and getting to know what makes them tick. Sometimes it's what makes me tick.  I'll try to list and not get into too much detail as not to make anyone who might read this think it is about them.

I'm amazed that the most outspoken people on Facebook, no matter what the topic, write comments that are nothing more than paraphrasing other's thoughts and feelings.

Most people who have criticized my culinary choices aren't in great shape themselves in a variety of ways.

Religion and Politics are only taboo, because they are the two topics most people are completely uneducated about.

Guys who post about sports constantly, probably play less sports than those who don't seem to care.

The hottest girlfriends of girls I've known for many years, I've never met.  I'm pissed at all of you.

The same people who are complaining about the snow will be complaining about the excessive heat in the summer. With some exceptions.

The people who post the most pictures of their kids, complain about their kids less than those who don't.

People who get mad at my comments about religion, politics, education, parenting and pretty much everything else seem to be filled with hate....for Spelling and Grammar.

I've more people than I can count tell me I'm right about my views, but refuse to argue, because they fear someone will cross the line in insulting them and they aren't as "nice" as I am.

I've had about ten people ask me if I am gay since I've joined Facebook, strictly because I am pro gay rights.  That's 2% roughly of my friends who simply can't accept my feelings about homosexuals.

I have a couple of vegetarian friends who have confirmed (with medical links), vegetarians biggest stress in life is their incessant talking about their lifestyle.  To the point where they increase their stress levels.

Nobody on Facebook ever mentions to their friends to read a great book, see a great movie or see a play ever. OK, maybe not ever, but the times are very few.  Why don't we want to share our enjoyment with others?

Facebook has taught me that about 1/4 of my friends are closet racists and bigots.  So much closeted that many of them don't even realize it.  Maybe it's been instilled from such a young age, but it's very apparent and not just to me.'

Since the election season, I have probably received about 30 direct messages from people I do not know telling me personal things about those I have debated.  I have only brought up one item and it wasn't in anyway a betrayal of trust, just a generalization.

As someone who truly battles insomnia (and I know I'm beating a dead horse), it infuriates me when someone who didn't get a full seven hours posts about their insomnia.  During the holiday season, I went a stretch of 120 hours with seven hours of sleep.  People who had a bad night, don't have any idea how that feels.  Although it pales to my college record of 127 hours straight....I was delirious and thought someone made me a sandwich.  I was typing with the computer off.

If Facebook pictures have taught me one thing, girls who are under 30 have new best friends every other week and women over 30 have friends for life.  Boys under 30 have friends for life, men over 30 act like boys with the same friends

Four people have unfriended my for my political views.  One is back. One isn't but we agreed we're still friends.  One is still angry with me, but the shoe shoot definitely be on the other foot.  I forgave and forgot.  One I can only assume is still a friend.  I've unfriended four people because of politics.  One cursed and called me names, but I consider him a friend, just can't trust him on my page.  One cursed at good friends of mine. One was so painfully stupid, I couldn't take it anymore.  He also wasn't a friend of mine  One, I truly believe to be mentally unstable, but I don't make this assertion without some background information.

People who have Facebook and haven't updated or posted in their page are living in a house in the woods plotting all of our deaths.  OK, Maybe that's a stretch.

People who aren't on Twitter are missing out on so much more fun and information....minus kid and pet pics!




Comments

  1. I'm sorry your facebook friends don't engage the way you'd like for them to. I'd hesitate to call your observations true for fb, though. I'm lucky to have book and film recommendations come alongside thoughtful conversations. It can happen.

    I'd also say the political/religious thing is fraught not simply because people cannot educate themselves about these topics, but because they are part of belief systems that are not going to be that readily changed. I don't engage in arguments with people on these topics-- not because I lack interest, information or commitment, but because it is rare these conversations come to any good. If people are at extreme ends, I suspect both are not going to cede. I don't unfriend people unless I wonder why I was ever friends with them to start (do I know them IRL?) but I have hidden people do I don't have to deal with tedious political declarations that will just give me agita. Still, I'd say that the majority of people I know are intelligent, informed, and thoughtful and an excellent resource for discussions on topics of interest.

    Sorry to hear about your insomnia...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her