Skip to main content

Routine

We all claim to despise routine. We see ourselves as vigilantes towards the mundane.  The reality is that it is not ours which we despise, but conforming to others.  I am a night owl, so the daylight hours bring me nothing but headaches and real world drama that warrants my attention. I desire not, to take long walks and look at birds. I don't like sipping tea, while gazing lovingly at the beautiful women who pass by.  I desire none of that.  I desire my bed; alone with my daydreams.  Dreams of evening filled with caviar, pate and champagne appetizers.  Stimulating conversation on which classic is superior, Citizen Kane or Texas Chainsaw.  Biting into lamb chops while listening to Beethoven, Bach or the Black Keys.  Sipping a Cabernet while listening to someone tell me of their child's first steps, while slightly ignoring them to gaze in wonderment at the girl across from me.  I wish to end my dreams, not with some debaucherous orgy, but with two people, sitting by a fire, sipping port and munching on an English Stilton or maybe some chevre.

To conform to societies wake at 7, in bed by 11 world is not for me. I've taken many an overnight job, to try and inject that heroin like fix, of dancing in the darkness.  Was there some vampirical bat that sneaked in one night and changed my into who I am?  Why must I eat bagels and eggs at in the morning?  Why not at 2?  Why must dinner be on the table the same time every evening?  "You're invited," they say, explaining my arrival is expected at 6.  I enter, the smell of stew simmers on the stove.  My mind races as, I see the enormous bowls, licking my upper teeth, to make sure the evidence of my last meal, eaten only moments ago, is gone.  Dessert by 7, maybe 8. Home by ten after some idle chatter and a Bailey's.  10 and their night is over as I set off into the night to start my day.  

They say suns rays bring happiness and life, but it's the darkness that inspires me.  The things that can't be seen have always interested me more than those which are always apparent.  Strange noises stir my mind.  No car horn or train whistle to remind me of the robotic lives we lead.  The purr of a cat, the hoot of an owl and the strange noises of an old house, it's secrets never showing themselves.  The heat from a pipe hisses, images of a floor of snakes, ones that would never show their fangs in the light. The crunch of the ground outside, I pull the curtain back, two eyes stare, we share a moment, two nocturnal beasts hunting for different things, they for food, maybe even shelter and I for meaning.  

The darkness begins to fade and light tries mightily to force it's way in. My eyelids get heavy.  It is my time to rest, to regain my strength to deal with the others.  To face a world that doesn't know what I know; the magic of the dark.  I see a pretty face and I smile.  She looks as if she entered into the darkness longer than she wanted.  She has conformed and her lack of sleep is apparent.  My hand reaches, to invite her in to my world, but then I refrain. Will she bring me into hers and make me like all the others.  Daytime zombies, hell bent on keeping a routine for which I have no use.  I take a sip of my coffee, a bite of a bagel, I look down, hoping they don't see that I am not like them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo