Skip to main content

A Guy, A Cat, and a Dog

This weekend, my roommate and her boyfriend, who is visiting from California, traveled to Syracuse for a conference. For the first time since moving in on August 5, I spent the weekend with her dog, without her. Despite her trepidation, it was a delight. I've long held the belief that pets behaviors are mirrors of their human's true self. When I look at my cat, I see a caring, loving soul, who is stubborn, craves companionship, but also covets solitude. He eats a little too much, but maintains his current weight, with slight fluctuations. He is not a picky eater and loves a treat. He is a light sleeper, but does love to lounge about. He is friendly, but very quick to pass judgment based on nothing more than his instincts. He loves the outdoors but not crowds or loud company. He is not concerned with material things and gets bored easily. I look at him and see myself. I also could not do what she trusted me with. Other than a surgery, I've not spent more than a single night away from him since he arrived in my life. That time in the hospital was excruciating, not due to the pain in my bones, but the hole in my heart. I do realize, chances are, he will leave me before I leave him. I'm OK with that, because I know, the pain he'd feel, and I'm willing to take it on.

This weekend, I took care of Whooza. I'm still uncertain what breed of dog this white devil is, but he's an anxious, easily-flustered, boisterous, but loving animal. He loves being outside, but worries he's overstayed his allotted time when allowed to freely come and go. He gravitates towards the comfort of being in sight of humans and is threatened by other dogs. He has sporadic eating habits, will only eat organic specialty foods, and has consistent bowel issues. His nervousness at times is overwhelming and he needs others to know about. In this sense, he's a bit self-absorbed, needing constant confirmation his presence is noted. Take a minute and reread the key line of the previous paragraph. This was not the case this past weekend. 

Swag, the cat, does not love the dog. He does not love any dog. Their size, their voice, their wagging tails, their constant need for attention and their inability to decipher the sound of a snowplow from the pitter-patter of their human's feet. He tolerates the dog, but his tolerance ends with the concept of sharing the bed. This weekend, he sensed, or at least I feel as if he did, Whooza's sadness. The odd thing about this weekend is, Whooza didn't bark, didn't whine, and didn't whistle. A thing he does when anxiety gets the best of him. Whooza ate on schedule. He had no stomach issues. He went outside when he wanted to and came back in his own good time. He slept on my bed when he could, but realized, on his own, when Swag was ready to reclaim his spot. Swag enjoyed the living room which is usually occupied by others and Whooza. He sat in the chair, slept, and ignored the silliness of a dog in his spot. Around midnight each night, whether he be in the living room, on his closet shelf, or coexisting on the bed, he would stake his claim in a language only animals can understand. he would stretch, yawn, and stare. Whooza, both nights, jumped down from my bed and scampered into his bedroom, jumped on the bed, staying there until 8:00-8:30. He then would rejoin the fray. Swag often choosing to find other places of leisure or go on a hunt.



Whooza may still be sad. He may miss the familiarity of his humans. I do know that the uncomfortable sounds and agitated barks and tail wags have been the fewest they've been since I met him. I will not take credit for I did nothing other than treating him as I treat Swag. For the most part, he's mirrored Swag's behaviors and while I know they won't last, it's interesting how animals, especially our pets, will feed off the true energy we exude, never once mimicking that which we project. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her