Skip to main content

Free Writing: New Year's Day 2020

I intend to write for 20 minutes, but who knows if I can babble that long without stopping.

The quiet of the snowy morning, the hungover heads, and the cold air is a wonderful contrast to the clanking dishes, incessant coughing, and high volumed television of last night. I sat alone, cuddled up with Swag, watching Game of Thrones for nearly six straight hours. A third of a bottle of whiskey, some coffee, and almond milk made for a decent cold Irish coffee. I came out a few times, the mess increasing, until this morning when I walked out and gasped. I've said before, I judge people by how they treat chairs. It's a good marker. Coffee pot on, a grin on the cat's face or is that his natural lool? I decided to take the quiet time to prepare something for lunch, maybe for dinner. Braved the cold to give my dog friend some biscuits. I wondered aloud why he's so quiet and outside on such a cold morning. I assume he's fine, but if it persists I'll worry. There was no ringing in, no clinking glass, not hugs or kisses, not even a phone call or a text. I shut it down about ten minutes before. Content to see last even and last year slip away without fanfare. It wasn't the best, but far from the worst. New beginnings are a myth in the new year. My car's expired inspection needs to be handled, my rent must be paid, and gas, food, and any social life are secondary right now. The enhanced financial situation of a paid vacation, my first in nearly twenty-five years, is sure to be decimated, as my winter savings have been the last few Decembers, oddly, not due to gift-giving. A conversation with a good friend, one that has been a long time coming, brought smiles to my face, then the memories of years past brought a tear to my eye. So many close friends, those who I shared many nights, but oh so many New Year's Eves together, gone, but never forgotten. I tipped my mug, and thought of all of their smiles, their laughs, and their commitment and mine, to our friendship. New beginnings they say, but sadly, I know we'll all lose some along the way. We'll gain others and I take solace in the pictures of friends' children. Those innocent smiles that bring them to our faces. I imagine life being different and I think about how long I've imagined it. The cackles come from a room away, but there was no joke that preceded it. Nervous laughter or compensation or, quite possibly both. I care only because it affects me. Selfish,, I know, but as someone who preaches empathy, understanding, and kindness, I also know selfishness and solitude serve a healthy, important role. I will go into this year, like I go into every day, simply hoping my presence brings some light to another. If it is reciprocated, I will appreciate it, but it is not necessary. I have what I need. What I want is for others to have and if they share, I'll be grateful. I'm thankful for them either way. I do wish health, happiness, and reasonable prosperity for all. Take what you need from this Earth, but think about the difference between want and need. Teach others, but never stop learning. I read about the philosophy of sound yesterday. Our reception of sound creates so much within us, but does it affect the sound by us hearing it? A tree falls, yes, cliche. What we should ask is why? At least, I think so. We need our trees and whether we hear them or not, they are falling. I feel as if the old question has become a metaphor for our very existence. Instead of whether or not we hear it, we should be asking ourselves if we care. In the coming year, I feel I will not create change, but I will change what I create. I will attempt to rid me of what didn't work in 2019 or, to be honest, yesterday, last week, or last month. I will continue with what works for me without jeopardizing others' happiness, but I will be more mindful of my own. I realize we can not make everyone happy, but we must try. We must not believe that we should come first, unless we're the only one who needs it. If we fall, does it matter? It should, to everyone. Interestingly I was done and with four seconds to spare.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her