Skip to main content

Do We Owe Others An Explanation When We Fail?

I've noticed recently that I've been apologizing to others for things I have failed to do for myself.  The very process of writing this down makes it sound absurd. I am vegan, but I have knowingly eaten a few things that were not vegan during the holidays. I found myself explaining it to people who were not even present. So I do more for the environment, nature, and animals than 95% of the world, but I find it necessary to admonish myself publicly for a private action that affected nobody. Who does this?

I apologized to someone for being late, after saying I'd be absent, for a reason that was no fault of my own. Realize, I was only late, not absent, but I apologized. When I explained this to another, they said I should have been thanked. I was still apologizing yesterday, despite being early, while everyone else, and I literally mean, every single person I work with was late. No apologies from them.

I have explained things to people who care or don't, but for some reason, I feel it necessary to clarify my deeds, so there's no dispute as to why I do what I do. In these circumstances, the person I give and explanation is usually a third party. Am I really that desperate for confirmation that my actions are appropriate? The answer is no, because I hold myself accountable for all of my actions, popular or not, right or wrong.

I almost feel as others' lack of reason, responsibility, and accountability may be the hidden agenda. Not that I am self-righteous, but I often feel my opening up about my failures, may lead to another admitting theirs, although historically, this does not happen very often. I recently was thanked for something after I apologized. I was then told that the person had attempted to do what I did, but then decided against it. My apology, their thanks, and then the subsequent explanation confused me. Had I just apologized for achieving something that another didn't that same task? What's worse is, their explanation for not achieving the task was more contrived than my apology for completing it.

I am not one to put the words "I'm sorry" out involuntarily, but I do feel, as of late, I feel it necessary to explain my actions far more than others even acknowledge their inactions. I also find that my wording, even within this format, has become slightly scrambled. I feel as though my spoken and written words are projections as to what is going on in my head. I guess in a way, this conclusion is a full circle and I'm back explaining or apologizing for a writing style that is representative of how I feel. When I don't even have to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...