Skip to main content

Free Writing: Seven Seven Minutes on a Saturday Morning

Where I am now, I often think of the most random people. People who were friends in the most simple definition of the word, but whose absence never bothered me, nor mine them. I miss them now. I wonder how they are. I wonder if they're happy or sad. We shared good times and lots of laughs. I wonder also about those I've forgotten. It seems a bit of a puzzle to miss those you've forgotten, but there are so many who I shared a night of drinking, laughing, dancing, never to see again. I wish them well and that their lives are even a fraction as enjoyable as some of those nights. I think about now and the buzzwords: toxic, anxious, depressed, trauma, and various descriptions of sadness. It's all I see on Facebook and all I overhear, as I try to shut out the negativity of the world and embrace moments of joy. Last night, I lay in bed with an acquaintance's dog and my trusty Swag, and I felt there is no place else I'd rather be. One reaching to touch my leg, moving closer and rubbing against my spine. The other against my shins. The uneven breathing of three beasts, in silence, simply happy to not be in solitude. The time was brief, the dog seeking comfort, found it and returned to a more familiar spot. The cat, thoroughly relaxed after the dog's absence, returned to his. I maneuvered, as I always do, to make sure he's comfortable. My back regrets it, but my life wouldn't be complete with the slight ache to remind me of how lucky I am. I'll leave them today, either to shop or have a drink, but I'll be back. They don't always trust that I will, but they always remind me of my importance upon my return. Imagine if humans were as consistent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...