Skip to main content

My Curse

A lot of people know about my insomnia, know about the ups and downs in my life.  I'm pretty much an open book and that is fine with me.  I've never been one to have secrets.  I just feel that if people don't like me for who I am, warts and all, then I don't need them in my life.  There are times where I do question the things I tell people, but I feel there is a reason for it.  Many times I feel something I say might make someone feel better about what they have gone through or maybe it's something that might make people more comfortable confiding in me.  I don't honestly know why I do it, it's just who I have become.

Recently I got together with some high school friends and we were reminiscing about some stuff that happened back in school.  Everyone seemed astonished at how much I remembered.  Later that week, while I spoke to someone else they were shocked by my retention of a somewhat insignificant event.   In many ways, I love this ability, because it brings clarity to some situations that need it.  In others, it's a curse.  It's the thing that keeps me awake at night.

I recently saw someone who I thought was an ex-girlfriend.  I hadn't really thought about this person in a while, but immediately, I was overcome with this awful feeling.  I was confused, because I was totally over this person, but for some reason the emotions came running back.  It ended up not being her, but the feelings still lingered.  Then, a few moments later, I ran into another, more recent ex and was overcome again.  The problem isn't that we aren't friends, I consider her a great friend, but I felt overwhelmed.  Both relationships meant a lot to me and were over before they got started, but the problem was I kept thinking of vivid moments.  I ended up ignoring the person and truly hurt their feelings.  I felt and still feel terrible about this. Sincerely awful.  This is why I consider it a curse.

I feel this curse hampers my ability to let things go, to adjust to change and to move on.  When I am mad at someone, my constant memories, remind me not only of what happened, but exactly how I feel.  This has caused me to hold onto grudges for long periods of time.  Sometimes forever.  It  also clouds my mind when the memories are good, because I think of the touches and the smells and fall in love with these people all over again.  I think about times when I was younger trying to impress a girlfriend by cooking her dinner.  The other day, I was walking home on a cold night and it reminded me of a funny tryst I had with an old girlfriend.  I see pictures online of old friends and remember special times I've had with them and it makes me want for those simpler times.  I see a pretty face and remember waking up next to that person.  As I lay down alone those memories haunt me and make me wonder where I went wrong.  The sad thing is many times, I can't remember those reasons why. 

Even know, I'm sitting listening to the sounds of rainwater dripping on a metal gutter and it reminds me of a wonderful evening that I will never get to share again.  I look at a piece of furniture and think back to a silly moment in my life.  I look at a pair of boots and think about my younger days slaving away on freezing cold roofs and loving my life.   I look at a small fan and think about laying in a tiny camp bed, listening to my kids whispering about girls.  I look at an item, I use every day and think about how one day, this item made my entire life brighter.  The problem isn't that I want these memories to fade away, it's that I remember all the emotions that I felt when they happened and I want to feel that way again.  Knowing I can't make these memories my curse.  One I will just have to live with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her