Skip to main content

Quirks, OCD & ADHD - Some Silly Some Personal

Everyone knows I am very opinionated and I am a bit of an insomniac.  These are givens and I won't bore you with them tonight.  A lot of people say to me, "you have a lot to say about others, but ....."  Well here's some fodder for the next time you want to abuse me or some items to let you know where I am coming from.

In the past year, if I'm not trying to figure something out in my head, I get very distracted.  I need stimulation or I get depressed. Sometimes I give myself math problems just to clear my head.  Two nights ago, I was really depressed about something, so I took an IQ test.  Surprisingly I did very badly...and I won't say what I got, because people will think I'm a dick.

If I'm leaving my apartment, I flick the lights on, then off before I leave.  When I leave the building I always check to see if I have my keys about five or six times.  I almost always look up and to the left whenever I walk through the door.  I have only locked my self out once, since living here.

I am an admitted slob when it comes to my apartment's cleanliness, but I am insane about dirty dishes in the sink.  You will never find dirty dishes in me sink.  You might find a knife in my bed, but never in my sink.

I switch which way I sleep in my bed almost all the time.  Sometimes head towards the wall, sometimes feet. sometimes I sleep width wise. No idea why?  I also almost always have magazines or books on my bed while I sleep. Tonight I awoke with a tennis ball under me.

Other than when I worked at the camp, I have made my bed, maybe ten times in my entire life.  Oddly, when I'm with someone else, I'll make it without them asking.  This is not out of laziness. I find the bed is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter if unmade.  I'm going with that.

When I'm doing something that has a time constraint, like waiting for a bus, I will check the time every 30-40 seconds, even if I'm already at the bus stop.  The other day, while waiting for my cab, I checked my phone about seven times in two minutes until they showed up.  I got to the school 7 minutes earlier than I had to.

I have an awful habit of pouring something to drink when I'm thirsty and forgetting to drink it. The other morning I made coffee, finally poured a cup 30 minutes later and took the first sip ten minutes after that and it was cold.

I absolutely hate the way socks feel on my feet, jeans feel on my legs and sweaters feel in general. Don't get me started on gloves and hats.  Ironically, I lived in hats until about 30.

I have shaved my head for nearly 25 years and now I have hair.  I run my hands through my hair about every three minutes now.  Many times forgetting it's kinda long on top and it looks ridiculous after I do it.

The single hardest thing I've had to do since my mother passed away was to take her cell phone number out of my contacts.  The first two weeks after she died, I called it every day, just to hear her voice.

I probably rub my eyes about 500 times a day.  My ex used to go crazy over this.  Due to this, my eyes are always tearing.

If I don't ever tease you, I probably do not like you very much.  If I do to excess, you mean a lot to me, but I don't know how to tell you.

When I look up at the stars on a clear night, I think about the same person every single time.  And this is not someone I've ever been involved with. Been this way for 15 years and was the basis for my short story written on here a few nights ago.

I would say nearly 50% of my dreams lately are of me cooking dinner for and having dinner with a girl I like. The other half are awful.

Even though I have only done it a handful of times, the free writing exercise I've been doing has incredible calming elements and after, I can concentrate a lot better.  My average blog takes me less than 15 minutes to write. I've been writing this one, for about two hours, while doing nine other things.

I panic when I think I am going to be late to something. To the point, I sweat and get dizzy.  However, If I tell you I'll meet you in 15 for a drink, expect it to be about a half hour.

If I watch a Netflix movie at night, I find it impossible to wait until the next day to mail it and will get dressed and walk to the post office no matter what time of night it is.  I am obsessed with movies and worry about having to wait an extra day.

I have become so immersed in foreign films, I can't watch American films without subtitles anymore.  Eight of the last 12 movies I've rented have been foreign films.  Mostly Korean or Japanese.

I do not believe in ghosts, but the other night, I saw something in my bathroom doorway (and it was not happy).  Ironically I couldn't sleep before I saw it and slept for over six hours after.  Most people would have ran out of the house, but for some reason this soothed me.  Which the next day gave me some cause for concern.

A have an awful habit of continuously smelling things.  Food, clothing, etc.  To the point where I convince myself they smell bad, even if they are fresh, clean, etc.  Smells also trigger serious memories for me, to the point they can affect my emotions.

I am the least photogenic person alive. There is not one picture of me taken since I was 15 that I like of myself.  With my knowledge, there have probably been less than 100 pictures taken of me since 1998. I do not think there is one picture of my taken from 1989-1990.  Ironically, I was in the best shape of my entire life.

There is nothing I hate more than having the back of my neck touched.  This has bothered me since I was little and I can't stand when people massage my neck and shoulders.

Despite my love of sports, I have only owned four jerseys in my entire life. John Elway, Deion Sanders, Roger Clemens and a random Colorado Buffaloes jersey.  I have worn a jersey one time in my adult life.  It truly bothers me when I see adult men wearing jerseys. I will write a blog about this one day...and alienate more friends.

I am terrified of strong winds. If we get this Hurricane Sandy, I will without a doubt not go outside during it.  Thunder and lightning does nothing to me and I have been within 30 feet of lightning hitting the ground and didn't flinch, but high winds terrify me.

Well I'm sure there are more, but some might be too personal for even me to divulge...well, while sober.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her