Skip to main content

#100DaysOfHopper Day 25-26

22 & 24 have vanished

Day 25: I know Facebook can sometimes give false impressions, but many times it tells a much more honest story of the event described or depicted. I find that social media feeds self absorption more than anything else, in some cases, creating a type of psychosis.

I've noticed this trend of people attending events as major as a wedding and as minor as a family barbecue and spending the entire day taking pictures, videos and adding commentary throughout the day or right after. That's fine, beautiful and warranted in a way, except in one aspect. It's all about them.

Listen, if your at a wedding and you bought a new dress that show off all your assets, snap a pic. You're like me and wear a tie twice a year, fine. What I don't get is these photo montages of a day long event and there are fourty pics of you throwing up duck-faced peace signs in the bathroom, while there are two, maybe three of the bride and groom. Nobody cares about you and your new beau while you're attending little Joe's 5th grade graduation. Your little princess looks adorable at her dance recital, so stop clicking pics of yourself with her best friends hot mom. It's not about you.

It's one thing if your bored and hate the kid having a Bar Mitzah, but if you have any respect for the person, take a photo of them for them of your memories. I truly wonder if some people just simply forget what they look like or if they are that self centered that their own child's events are secondary to them receiving six likes and a "hawt" from the person they dated in high school. When you stop being the center of your own universe, you may then see how bright the stars really are. #100DaysOfHopper
 Day 26: I'm reminded of the late Charles Barsotti, cartoonist for The New Yorker, whose classic cartoon, featured a clown holding a phone, with the caption "So what's the second best medicine?"

Yesterday, while hanging out with great people, someone said something so incredibly funny, I felt faint from laughter. At the time, it was wonderful. A few minutes of escapism. Every one of life's torments whisked away by that feeling of pleasure. It carried over and as my social night ended and I retreated home, it's effects were gone.

As I said my goodbyes and descended down the hill towards my house, that numbing pleasure seeped out and the physical pain I endure daily seeped in, immediately killing my mood, like some sort of evil osmosis. By the time I reached my door, fatigue had set in. I grabbed a movie and collapsed onto the bed. Trying valiantly to distract myself with some mental morphine, but it wasn't to be.

A quick look at Facebook and my own pain turned to feelings of guilt and anger. The constant self centered banter as people botched about things completely controllable should they ever take two seconds to listen to others or to stop making themselves number one. Then, as my blood simmered, my body ached and my own selfishness took over, I noticed a post from someone who is never a me first person. It told of a little girl, 14, who had drowned. I stopped and cried.

School is out. An entire summer ahead. Maybe the last without responsibility, leading into a life filled with high school, college, jobs, boyfriends, adventures, marriage, kids and grandkids. All that, gone. The grief for the family, must be the ultimate in what pain feels like. A jolt to the system and the most immense feeling of guilt. My shallow friends wallowing in self pity were to be ignored for the rest of the night. My own pain, unimportant. I didn't know her, but Jenna Nolan's life meant more than a Facebook status looking for attention or pity.

In a few hours, life for me and most I know will go back to normal. I'll lament my woes and I'll read of tight shoes and mean bosses, traffic jams and Spartan races, new cars and old flames. I'll roll my eyes and curse the world. When did it all get so unbearable for us? Well, for the rest of the day, I'm going to think of the Nolan's and just keep my complaints to myself, because I know loss and pain, but I don't know that. #100Daysof Nah, it's not about me today. Respect and condolences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her