Skip to main content

#100DaysOfHopper Day 64-65

Day 64: Why do people who always go to the same place say that they love to travel? I don't claim to have any love for travel, but I do like experiences. I like waking up in a new place, setting out without any list or brochure and just finding things. I remember, long before the internet going on vacation and getting into the car with my parents and not knowing where we were going, not sure when we'd be back and getting lost. Stopping for lobster or clams in a coastal town. Asking for directions, not to a town, to a destination, but to a highway. Sure we went back for a second summer, two years later and we went right instead of left and never once visited the same places. We swam in the same river at dusk and saw a few of the same faces, but the experiences changed every day, every summer. I've never understood how anyone can stay in the same house, in the same town, on the same beach, year in and year out and enjoy it as much as before? I did the Jersey shore two years in a row and while I had fun, I had no desire to return to the same area. It had run its course.

I'm not saying there aren't places we don't hold dear to our hearts, but I'd like to think it's the new people and the new things about it that brings freshness to these places we call special. I realize there are places that are truly second homes and this is different. I understand when sweat and tears have been dropped in creating a place away from home that has the same feel, but is that a vacation or a getaway? Going away with other people, you start to feel this odd sense that it's all deja vu for them and that transfers over to you. It slowly, secretly deprives you of that new experience and in some ways, it makes you realize that their happy place can never be yours. I know I've never felt as enthusiastic about the places others covet and I assume they felt the same about mine. Our desperate need to be content and continue routine binds us from letting go and experiencing. I have always hated that.

And so it seems that this is the case with home or what some call home. I've been mocked, teased and even "corrected" by some who never understand when I answer Brooklyn, when asked where I am from. Why it is so difficult for me to utter, Eastchester or Westchester when asked where I live. There has always been that hesitation. I wonder what it will be like for me, not having to say those words. Will those who are acquaintances with me, because of location, dismiss my friendship? I assume some will and some will miss me.

I never really want attention, despite my posts and my ranting on social media. I want to be noticed by a slight few and I notice them. I assume people think my motives are selfish, but those should know that I read as much as i can of other people's posts. I skip over the religious and political memes that are merely other people's words, copied and pasted or regurgitated, but when someone takes the time to share of themselves, I always take a few seconds or minutes to read it. Many times twice, if I want to comment. Sure, there are times when this sparks debate, but I want those people to know that I cared to comment, because I cared to read it. I always welcome comments, both serious and funny, critical and in agreement or just additions to my thoughts. So many who are indirectly my targets seem to take such offense and maybe I'm wrong, but a lot more people tell me privately that I'm not. So I continue. Well, for another month....at least. #100DaysOfHopper

 Day 65: Well, when I started this, it was in reaction to the completely fake people out there who do their "random" acts of kindness, their 100 days of "happiness" and the overall attitude of so many who are either, so blind to the world around them or feel the most miniscule events are catastrophic. Despite the public comments, I've been told some really nice things and on occasion, been told that I went a little heavy and made it obvious as to whom I was speaking of. I assured those people that the targets of my words weren't astute enough to realize and I'm sure I was correct.

I do find it interesting that the only time I received truly positive public comments was the time I pointed my opinions at myself. Something I do in private conversations all the time. So I may open up tomorrow a bit more and ask anyone who cares or is interested in knowing anything to ask me any question, as long as it doesn't hurt or embarrass someone else.

That being said, I do want to make one comment for today and if anyone finds offense, maybe you should think before you speak, act or continue your way of life.  If you do something for someone else, whether it be a loved one, a friend or a stranger; if you are called upon in a time of need, from any corner of your life; if someone entrusts you to assist them in their time of need, please remember that their call to you, you specifically, because of trust. I'm sure most do not wish for their woes to be shared on Facebook or even during idle chat. Your help, assistance, your care and nurturing means the world to these people. It is you laying aside your life, your woes and everything your world, to be the one shining moment of theirs. So when I read or listen to people's accounts of their wonderful altruism, great parenting and true friendship, I always listen or look for one word and I count. How many times does this person say "I" or "Me." Makes you wonder who all these heroes out there are doing it for and why, doesn't it? #100DaysOfHopper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her