Skip to main content

Clinging

I rarely discuss this, but I think it's relevant in my life right now.  I've mentioned it once before in a blog, but it wasn't really a huge part of the piece.  I discussed it today with someone and it's something I've thought about recently and possibly have come to a realization about myself and one of my true faults.   It's through thinking, reflection and time alone that many things come to us.  Sometimes the act of sitting or laying in the dark with no companionship other than our own thoughts, that we arrive at conclusions about ourselves that we may never have realized.  I don't know when this hit me, but it's definitely in my mind now, as I struggle with the imminent loss of something desired.

When I was 9, possibly just turned 10, my parents adopted a baby girl.  I loved my sister dearly and she was the highlight of my life.  Every day I fed her, I held her and I kissed her.  I fantasized about her growing up and me protecting her from all the perils of the world we live in.  At a young age, it wasn't a difficult task.  I remember, being proud to be a big brother.  Something I still am today with my brother.  This was different.  It was my job to protect her and I'd do it forever.  Three weeks later she was taken away.  Not by death, but by the family who gave birth to her.  One day, before she "legally" became my sister forever. 

The sadness that I felt can not be explained.  In death, we are given closure.  The pain subsides, because we know it has to.  Death, sadly, is a part of life.  It's something we will all suffer through.  That loss stings, but it is only temporary.  We all know it is inevitable and will hit us at different points in our lives. What I experienced, at such a young age, isn't something everyone experiences.  To love someone unconditionally and have them taken away, with only wonder left, is the single hardest thing a person can do.  I loved my sister unconditionally.  Today, she is in her early 30's.  She probably knows nothing about her brief time spent with her brother. 

I've never admitted this to anyone, but I think about her every day.  I wonder if her life turned out better or worse.  I wonder what she looks like.  I wonder if she was protected like I would have protected her.  I wonder if she is happy.  I hope she is.  It's all I would have wanted anyway.

Recently, I entered into a relationship and it ended as soon as it started.  I've been called clingy.  I've been called needy.  I've been called obsessive.  I've also been called caring, sweet, concerned and possibly the right person at the wrong time.  In my life, I've been called a lot of things, good and bad.  In the last few days, I've thought about stuff and it's really come to light.  My personality was shaped heavily that day when I found out I'd never be the older brother to my little sister.  After that, I became very different and when I look back, I face relationships with females in two ways.  I either refused to let myself become involved for fear of later loss or I became so emotionally attached, I made my love and affection a detriment, by feeling it was my duty.  I've caused myself loss and grief because of this and I don't know if I'm able to stop.  I can tell myself to stop caring, to be like so many others, who objectify women and feel they are there to serve them.  It's not me.  The people I fall for, I fall for hard.  I love them sooner than I should.  I think about them constantly and I adore them.  I feel the need to be their rock and to be their shield against all that is bad.  I feel the need to be something very few of them want.  In the end, I end up smothering them.  Sometimes with a kindness that is taken as a form of lunacy.  I can not change that.

Life shouldn't be spent wondering what could have been, but the reality is, it's part of every day for me.  I seem to always be a minute late to the party.  I've lost loves because of lethargy and I've lost loves because of my overbearing ways.  I hurl myself into one's life with such reckless abandon that I scare them.  I need to know they are with me.  Even if they are,  need that constant reminder, because every day, I think of my sister and know that nothing is guaranteed. 

I'll bounce back.   I always do.  I'll be hurt again.  I always am.  I'll make the mistakes I've made in the past.  It's what I do.  I'll be a friend to someone I love.  It's in my nature.  I will turn someone away who loves me, because they can't handle my intensity.  I know because it happens all the time.  I'll find love forever.  Well, I know better than most.  Nothing last forever.  No matter how badly you want it to. 

I will live my life one day at a time and hope that the people I love share it with me and take me for who I am.  If I'm lucky, they'll love me back.  If even for a minute.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her