Skip to main content

R.I.P. Johnnie Mac

For a dear friend

Sometime later today, a good friend of mine is going to a memorial service for her best friend, Johnnie Mac.  I never met John, but from what I can gather, he was a special person.  He was a friend and a great person.  On one visit to Cavalry, she had to give way to players from his hockey team who wanted to see their coach.  She cried.  She visited him frequently during his short stay and treasured those final days.  He left this world, those kids and his friend too soon.  He didn't have a choice.

Cancer rarely let's us decide how long we can stick around.  My mother and both my friend's parents were taken by the disease.  We all have lost people to this awful disease and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.  Every time there is a lull in life, someone else's seems to be cut short from this disease.  It never fails. 

I remember the morning my friend found out.  It was the first time I saw her break down.  She's a strong woman.  Independent and feisty.  Cancer doesn't care about the strength of who it attacks or the strength of those it affects.  I'm a very strong person, but thoughts of my mother have brought me to tears recently.  In the past few weeks I've seen times when my friend has become overcome with grief because of her love for him.  On Wednesday, September 28th, Johnnie Mac passed away.  Personal problems had to go by the wayside, because my friend needed me.  What she needed more was time with Johnnie Mac.  It's something I can't give her.  I'd offer time from my life to give to her if I could.  I can afford it. It's not to be.

Tomorrow and Friday will be days of uncontrollable grief for my friend and the friends of Johnnie Mac.  They will be days of grief for me, because I know I can't do anything for her, her friend and I can't bring back my mother.  I can't talk to her about this.  My friend wanted one last time to say goodbye.  We all do.  It's important that we make sure we never leave people angry.  I thought about this the other night during an argument.  I thought about this, when I was mad at someone I care about.  I thought about this while I was mad at a family member who didn't even know it.  I called them just to say hello.  Still angry, but you never know.  When will the last day be? 

I didn't know Johnnie Mac, but if he was good enough to be my friend's best friend, he must have been a hell of a person. He must have been special.  I would have been honored to have met him.  My only connection is a band around my friend's wrist and our friendship.  She never met my mom and I never met her parents.  Our bond is cancer.  It's a strong bond.  Something we both understand without words.  I remember one of the first times we met out for a drink, we spoke about our losses.  It was supposed to be a happy go lucky, let's have fun date.  We both were teary-eyed in seconds.  We both understand.

Today, is going to be a tough day for someone I care deeply about.  At some point during the day,  I might shed a tear.  My mom will be in my thoughts.  So will my friend...and a friend I never met.  R.I.P. Johnnie Mac

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her