Skip to main content

Recent Things That Have Made Me Happy

Last night, someone told me I'm miserable.  I'm crazy, bordering on bi-polar.  I'm always unhappy and I am so worried what people say about me that I don't realize that not everyone is talking or doing something behind my back.   While I disagree with all the above statements, being out of work, dealing with some outside stressors out of my control and generally always thinking about others well being before my own has made me less than thrilled about the current state of my life.  That being said, I decided to make a short list of the things that have made me happy in the past month.

Being back at the school in the afternoons with the kids.  Smiles are infectious.

Speaking to my grandmother the other day.  She sometimes says things that can be viewed as hurtful, but her honesty warms me.  I'm not like you.  A sugar cookie and a pat on the head isn't what I need. Being told to get off your ass and find a new job and a new girlfriend is far better.

Thinking a lot about my mom.  Sad to the point of tears at times, but remembering the last few days and what we talked about.  Those are memories I will never forget.

Deep conversations with people who get me.  They are few and far between.

Having friends who don't always appear to be there, reaching out and genuinely telling you they are there.  Now that is fucking special.

Reading Ruth Reichl and Gael Greene's twitter posts.  I don't know if I've ever masturbated while reading food descriptions, but I've come close thanks to these two ladies.  Bourdain's description of the 22-course tasting menu served by Thomas Keller in Nasty Bits.

Last weekend with Jen and Eddie!  Love having fun at others oblivious expense.

Talking to Pete about baseball, food and everything else under the sun.

Yellow (orange flavored) Hostess cupcakes - I hate sweets, but something about these.

Winning 19 of my last 24 games of words with friends.

Tim Tebow!  Hail Jesus, haha!

Taking a walk in the middle of the night and stopping to sit and stare into the dark, seeing nothing and wonder what as equally as fascinated to be watching me.

The TV show New Girl. 

Speaking with Karin.  Started off emotional and turned into a funny chat.  We'll definitely be hanging soon.  The wagon will lose some wheels that day!

Having heated debates about politics and religion.  _ Most people call this taboo.  Those people say that because they are going into battle with inferior weapons.  The art of debating is not knowing how to make your point, but how to deflate your opponents.

Listening to songs that I haven't heard in a while on youtube.com

Spending last Sunday away from the bullshit.  Unfortunately, some of the bullshit followed us.

Dealing with a good customer service rep....especially after dealing with his moronic co-worker.

Watching a horrible movie, again!  Made me realize how lucky I am to have experienced the films I have, while others dwell on  the latest SNL characters ridiculous romp and claim movies about nights in Vegas to be "epics."  Give Bergman, Kubrick, Scorcese, Park,Tarentino or the Coen Brothers.

An unexpected hello and the occasional "I was thinking about you." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her