Skip to main content

Being Thankful

Last year I wrote a blog giving thanks to those who have come and gone throughout my entire life.  This year, I'm going to narrow it down to this year.  It's been a tumultuous year for me (as they all seem to be lately), but there have been some upsides.  Sadly, I wish there was more to be thankful for, but this has been an odd year.  I'm also not going to say who the people are.  They are important to me, but for private reasons. 

I am thankful for the woman who reminded me not to waste too much time worrying about the little stuff.  Her advice isn't always practical, but it works.  If you realize that time spent doing things you enjoy is more profitable than the things we do out of necessity, you will be happier.  Basically, she told me not to obsess with work at the expense of leisure.  Sounds easier said than done, but she meant it to mean, don't let the obsession with wealth keep you from enjoying life's simple pleasures which are affordable.

I am thankful to a friend who reminded me recently that time spent together isn't the measure of a friendship.  That true friendship doesn't even need spoken words.  I had lost sight of this and had surrounded myself with people who felt like friends, but the reality was they weren't.  True friends always think of you first.   I have very few of those.  I'm going to make sure I keep them.

I want to thank someone who taught me about forgiveness.  Showed me that she's a stronger person than I ever was.  She showed me no ill will or contempt and for this, I am not only astonished, but thankful.  I have never said a bad word about her, but many times I forgot to tell her how wonderful she was.  She deserved it.

I want to thank another friend who brought me great happiness and taught me how to feel again.  It didn't work out as I had hoped, but I hope if nothing else, I have gained a great friend.  Someone I feel who really got me.  Not all of me, but enough.  I've come to realize that nobody really gets me.  I'm me and that's not always a good thing, but it's more good than bad.  If I care about you, I will die for you.  If I don't, I'll let you slip away.  It's just that simple.  I forgot how important that is and had started caring about everyone, when those people weren't caring for me.  I want to thank her for opening my eyes.  I also want to thank her for making me realize that my heart wasn't gone.  It's still there, beating. Alone, but beating.

I also want to thank a friend for always being there in his subtle way.  For always standing up for me and for caring without judgement.  Sure he'll tell me I'm a cocksucker when the time is needed, but he'll also offer to bail me out in a time of need.  I want to thank him for not checking out too soon.  For being strong when others needed him.  Myself included.  I want to thank him for always thinking of me.  Friends like him are hard to find.

Finally I'd like to thank some of the little people along the way who gave me a ride.  Gave me a hug.  Sent me a message asking if I was OK.  Things like that mean a lot to me.  You are appreciated.  Thank You!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her