Skip to main content

Netflix Activity

I was just looking at my Netflix activity and realized I have only rented forty seven movies this year.  A very slow year by my standards.  So I decided to break down my activity based on what I've seen.  As always, I rate every movie I've seen using there five star system.

Eight movies received one star (hated it) with the three worst movies I saw this year being Hall Pass, Dinner with Schmucks and The Crazies.  The Crazies is probably the worst movie I've seen in a while.  I should also probably add that The Social Network was also in this 1-star list.

Seven movies received two stars (didn't like it).  With some being very popular films such as Taken, Catfish and Iron Man 2.  One movie I was shocked to find on this list was Stone with Edward Norton and Robert DeNiro. 

Nineteen movie received three stars (liked it), but I should point out that when I give three stars to a movie, it's pretty much a range of 2.5-3.5 and I'm a little picky about giving anything four or more stars.  Some are actually just a little better than I expected like Predators, Hobo with a Shotgun and Machete and some are movies that everyone loved that I felt fell a little short, like Inception and 127 hours.  Some are just good movies that entertained me and that's it, such as In Bruges, Resident Evil: Afterlife and 13 Assassins. 

Nine movies received four stars (really liked it).  I should say there have been times when I've rated something four stars and then gone back and lowered it to three.  I think two on this list might find the same fate, but as of now they are sitting with four.  The nine movies I rated four stars are Charlie Bartlett, OSS 117: Lost in Rio, Kinsey, The Ballad of Jack And Rose, Blue Valentine, The Perfect Host, Animal Kingdom, Martyrs and Hanna. The best of this group would have to be The Perfect Host or Charlie Bartlett and the worst was probably Hanna, but not at all because it's bad, but because it's basically a fluffy action picture.  Blue Valentine and Martyrs are two movies that were very good, but I can guarantee I will not ever watch again, because of how they make you feel.

Finally we come to the five star movies.  The movies I loved of which there were only four.  One was a movie I had seen before and needed to see again. That was Oldboy.  Arguably the craziest movie I've ever seen.  Love it.  Korean masterpiece.  Another was Mesrine Part 1: Killer Instinct.  An amazing true story about a French gangster.  Unfortunately the sequel isn't as good, but this is a wonderfully riveting movie.  Vincent Cassel is absolutely mesmerizing in the title role.  Winter's Bone was probably the most underrated movie I saw.  Yes it was nominated, but I don't think people truly understood how good it was.  Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes give two of the best performances I've seen in years.  The final five star rated film was Let Me In.  The American version of the Swedish masterpiece Let The Right One In.  This was nearly a scene by scene recreation with the exclusion of one horrible scene in the original.  Chloe Moretz followed up her brilliant performance in Kick Ass as Abby.  The young girl who befriends a young boy who is being bullied.  A tremendous job done by both, which rivaled the original.  Definitely one of the greatest "horror" films ever.

Of the 47 films, sixteen were foreign.  Three were comedies, seven were horror movies and the majority were dramas or thrillers.  Next up is A Gun, A Woman and a Noodle Shop which is apparently a Japanese version of the Coen Brother's Blood Simple. Can't wait!

If anyone has any movie suggestions, please let me know.  Always looking for something different.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her