Skip to main content

True Friends

The rice was sticking together.  I hadn't even nuked it to make it warm.  The hot sauce dripped from the chicken and I chewed around the bones to get every last bite.  Hot coffee was probably not the drink to be washing it down with, but I was in the mood.  I was tired, back sore from an ailment I'm not sure of.  I saw a little screen pop up on my computer and saw the tiny picture of an old friend. 

The chat was brief, but telling. Two years has gone by since we last spoke.  We've e-mailed once or twice and maybe exchanged pleasantries via Facebook, but that is all.  He ended the conversation with a few sentences I don't care to share.  He reminded me what true friendship is all about.  I needed that.

True friends don't need booze to have a good time.  Acquaintances need that.  True friends don't need sex.  That's what we need when we run out of things to talk about.  True friends don't need to speak, because the thoughts are there when we're not.  True friends don't even need to see each other, because the next time will be as good as the last.  True friends know.

It made me realize that true friends wouldn't lie to us.  They wouldn't cheat on us.  They wouldn't ignore us when we're down, no matter what the circumstances.  True friends might not always be able to be there for us when things are rough, but that's because we know deep down things aren't as bad as they seem.  We don't go to them when things aren't going our way, we go to them in times of need.  They are always there for us, but we don't burden them with the petty.

I've gone through what I've felt is a bad point in my life.  I have been in a funk.  Financially, emotionally and physically.  It dawned on me today, I haven't reached out to any of those friends.  I haven't reached out to family really.  They are there for me when it really gets bad.  Why bother them with what isn't important.   Today a friend, a true friend, reminded me that we are so few.  The special ones, who are there when they're not.  Always!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her