Skip to main content

The Ten Best Country Songs Ever (Not Sung By Johnny Cash)

Now I'm going to preface this with saying that I don't consider most of the new stuff country music, so my list will not have anything by Toby Keith.  Kris Kristofferson said it best when he said "Toby Keith did for country music what pantyhose did for finger fucking."  You also won't hear stuff like Rascal Flatts or Lady Antebellum, because to me, one is crap and the other is pop.  I'm also not going to include stuff like Johnny Cash, because I honestly believe that most of Johnny Cash's songs transcend a genre and to be honest, I'd probably end up having ten Johnny Cash songs on my list.  No this is going to be real country.  Dolly, Kenny and Willie.  That kinda country!

So I started with a list. My list had a lot of classics, some new stuff and some duets.  For the most part I tried to get stuff out that really isn't country.  I don't consider Ray Charles or Elvis country.  I don't consider Emmy Lou Harris country.  I also don't know some of the original artists who made famous songs, such as Lefty Frizell who wrote Long Black Veil (One of Cash's masterpiece covers).  So I dwindled my list of twenty-one down to ten.

In no particular order, here are the one's that didn't make the cut: 16 Tons - Tennessee Ernie Ford, Friends In Low Places - Garth Brooks, Lady - Kenny Rogers, I Wouldn't Have Missed It For The World - Ronnie Milsap, Falling - Lee Ann Womack, Sunday Morning Coming Down - Kris Kristofferson (#11), Ruby - Kenny Rogers, Fancy - Reba, Tonight The Heartache's On Me - Dixie Chicks, Breathe - Faith Hill and Always On My Mind - Willie Nelson, Lousiana Woman, Mississipppi Man - Loretta Lynn & Conway Twitty .  Hard to believe it, but no Willie in my top ten.  Well he did write on of the songs.

10.  I'm Gonna Miss Her (The Fishing Song) - Brad Paisley.  Hilarious song about a guy who's girl tells him if he leaves to go fishing she won't be there when he gets back.  Well, you know what he did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwRrKaq0IyY&ob=av3e

9.  Crazy - Patsy Cline.  Written by Willie Nelson, this might be the quintessential female country song.  Cline's shrill voice hammers this song home.  Cline has tons of songs that would be in my top 50, but this is a top ten.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzq5X-p2C0Y

8.  I Love A Rainy Night - Eddie Rabbitt.  Now a lot of people might not think of this as a country song due to it's appearance on tons of K-Tel records, but Rabbitt was a country singer, so it's on my list.  Plus this song is amazing.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ1GQFtHGxU

7.  Devil Went Down To Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band.  Granted I've heard this so many times, I definitely need some liquor to enjoy it, I still have to give it props for being a great bar song and one of the better country songs.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnepPZChA5U

6. Islands In The Stream - Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers.  The second greatest country duet in my opinion (most consider it #1).  I love it and for the record, I think Dolly is pretty damn hot.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lixDK_tMEhE

5.  I Will Always Love You - Dolly Parton.  If you watch any one of the clips, watch this one.  Dolly had written the song about her breakup to the guy who's show this is.  Amazing! And Sorry Whitney, you can scream, but you can't show the emotion Dolly does. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS-F4rfU4ns

4.  Are You Sure Hank Would Have Done It This Way - Waylon Jennings.  Jennings had so many great song, but this one always does it for me.  Probably the country song I look for first on the jukebox when I'm out.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKV7vt1kHnk

3. Til I Can Get You Off My Mind - Tammy Wynette.  If there is a sadder breakup song ever made, I don't know one.  It makes I Will Always Love You Seem happy at times.  Absolutely amazing how it builds and grows sadder and sadder.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHycUpawWh0

2.  Portland, Oregon - Jack White & Loretta Lynn.  OK So I broke my rule.  A Country singer and a crossover star, but I couldn't keep Loretta Lynn out of the top ten.  Here it is.  My favorite "country" duet.  Feature one of the queens. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuC_l3ymXhM

1. Jolene - Dolly Parton.  I posted this the other night on Facebook, because it's just one of those songs.  One of the saddest songs ever.  About a woman, whose man is everything to her and she knows that Jolene could have him or any man she wants.  All she asks is that she not take her just because she can.  So sad, so poignant.  One of the greatest songs of all time.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plvBR02wDs

Now I'm sure you could argue.  I've left some classics off the list.  There is no Johnny Cash and others.  The reason I kept Cash off is because he'd probably have eight of the top ten if I'd of included him and what would be the fun of that.  OK, this took way too long.  I started this over an hour ago.  Time for bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo