Skip to main content

How 1970's Cartoons Made Us Crazy

Remember when you were a kid and you'd run down stairs on Saturday mornings and watch cartoons all morning?  These shows somewhat molded us into who we are today.  We grew up on odd looking characters, incredible amounts of violence and at time adult humor we weren't ready for.  Along the way, we became understanding of people's differences, but never really saw these characters as people.  In many instance, they weren't.  Here are a few of the shows and how they molded me.

Captain Caveman was one of my favorites.  I don't remember what show it was on, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't its own 30 minute cartoon.  I remember thinking to myself, he doesn't look like a man, but he also doesn't look like a primate, but he was funny.  Now looking at him, he looks like a hairy ballbag with a big nose.  Kinda creepy in a lot of ways.  Not sure what I got out of this, but loved when he yelled and the fact he could fly, which never really made much sense to me.

Josie and the Pussycats was a dopey show when I was a kid, but I watched it for the cat.  The funniest thing is looking back and realizing that this is what made catsuits sexy.  I credit this show for my adult self liking lingerie....not to wear.  I'm not that frisky.

Super Friends was honestly one of my least favorite shows, but back then, I would adhere to social norms and I only watched it to know what friends were talking about.  I usually chose to eat breakfast during this show.  I did however think Aquaman was kinda cool. 

One show that wasn't a cartoon was Arc II.  It was a dopey show where two scientists drove around in a space craft RV.  I recently looked it up and saw a picture of the two stars and realize my attraction to Asian women probably started way back when. 

I also loved Heckle & Jeckle and believe they were my introduction into sarcasm.  I was once told that sarcasm is wasted on youth, but I disagree.  They were definitely one of my favorite characters as a child.

Don't remember, but I think Jabberjaw made me like sharks.  That or Jaws, which I also saw as a very young child....the day before my parents took me to the beach!

Scooby Doo was probably the one cartoon not really made for kids, but kids loved it.  Probably because we all felt smart, because it was so easy to figure out who the bad guy was.  It was always someone in a mask.  This taught me that smoking weed and popping pills make you a great private detective.

The Bugs Bunny Road Runner hour taught me that you can kill animals and they come back to life.  Not really, but it showed that violence is an acceptable solution to any problem.  Probably not the greatest lesson to teach a young child, but probably more honest than the lessons taught in later life by silly shows such as Growing Pains and Family Ties.

I'm sure there were more, but I'm actually just taking a break from cleaning my apartment at 1:45 in the morning.  So that's all folks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her