Skip to main content

#100DaysOfHopper Day 67

Day 67: Maybe this is a repeat of something I've mentioned before, but I'll say it again. You don't need to give up anything, not a single thing, to better your life. Facebook, social media, television and radio is constantly telling us to give up. Religion is telling us to repent, to fast, to suffer. Everyone has this silly idea that to better yourself you need to give up something and fill it in with something better. Who is to say what is better?

Why is yoga better than laughing with friends?
Why is running better than sitting watching a game?
Why is a salad better than a steak?
Why is a smoothie made with foods contaminated by all the chemicals that fill our grounds and skies any better than having a cup of coffee and a bagel?
Why is your religion better than my spiritual freedom?
Why is anything you chose in a moment of weakness, better than something I embrace in a moment of strength?

I'm all for people doing what they think is needed to feel and look better. I'm all for them doing what keeps them spiritually balanced. I'm all for you praying to whatever made up deity you choose. I just ask why you believe what works for you is the "right path."

I'm tired of vegans telling people it's the right way. It's not. If 25% of the world became vegan, the world would cease to exist in a very short time. It is not proven in any long term study to be any healthier than any other diet, so please, stop telling us how meat is evil, because you know not of what you speak.

Please don't tell me how you couldn't handle alcohol, so it is not necessary to live. Very few people who drink, even regularly are alcoholics. It is a physical and physiological weakness that causes it. Some believe genetic, but I tend to doubt that. You overcame your weakness and you should be commended, but remember that there was a time, when you could handle it and it was enjoyable. Don't ruin that for your friends who have a strong internal core.

I'm all for yoga, but the funny thing is how people portray it. Yoga is about self, relaxation and quieting or calming the body. It actually slows metabolism, so please don't tell me how it's turned you into a lean mean fighting machine. We know you run, lift and do crossfit too. I physically can't do yoga, because of injuries, but I think its benefits are outstanding, so don't misread my words and decipher them as a negative take on yoga. I'm just saying those who do it right, don't preach false results.

I'm all for exercise and before my body started falling apart, many of you remember me as the guy who was always playing sports, running to and from a game. Jogging from my home on Garth Road to Anne Hutchinson for six or seven hours of hoops, then jogging home for dinner. Thanks for the rides by the way. Those days, for now, are over for me, but should I ever get the needed surgeries and my legs and hips start working again, I won't take up running, crossfit or any other fads. I'm always amazed at how many guys are "taking a few days" off, because of injuries, but refuse to admit that extreme exercise to the point of muscle exhaustion is the cause. Crossfit every other day, might be good, but six days a week. No. Running too and yes, believe it or not, I used to run everywhere and sometimes just for shits and giggles or to check out the early morning sun on the Bronx River Path. You know what happened when I ran more than I should? Lower leg pain. You know what I couldn't do? Run. Get it?

You know what makes you live longest? Being stress free. You know leads you down the stress free life? Doing what you enjoy and limiting the bad things in your life. The more you desire, whether it be wealth, trophies or six pack abs and a thigh gap, the more pressure you put on your mind and body and it begins to break down. Going for a walk, having a steak and drinking a scotch seems to work for everyone I've ever known who has lived into their 80's. I remember my 99 year old grandmother telling my 16 year old cousin "Oh, you're a vegan? That's so nice. I don't think that's healthy though, all the people I know who didn't eat meat are dead." Sure she was somewhat joking, but she also repeated the words "I love life" and she did. I look to my own family and the ones who let stress overcome them are all gone. Every single one. I look at my friends, who allowed stress to overtake their minds and their bodies gave out. I look at myself and my sleep and I try my mightiest to fight the every day stress with things that make me happy. For me it's as simple as working with kids. Knowing I won't be doing that this fall is devastating and scary to me. I know the stress that I will feel come October and I'm searching desperately for something to fill the void. Many times, for me, simply writing this stuff down is an outlet. It allows the tension to leave me. I know there are only a handful of people who read it, but it isn't necessarily for them. Maybe someone agrees, maybe some disagree, but I'm telling you, stress is the number one killer we face. If you believe that 20 years of eating a rib eye was the cause of your relationship woes and caused you to drink, so be it, but I'm doubtful.

Laying blame on the tiny things, whether it be diet, exercise or recreational vice is an easy way of not blaming yourself. Deep down the stress of knowing you're lying to yourself will come out. Trust me. #100DaysOfHopper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her