Skip to main content

#100DaysOfHopper Day 78-79

Day 78: A few years ago, I joined Facebook and within two days I connected with a childhood friend, who I had not contacted in over 20 years. I asked him about his life, his family and his career. I then asked "How is that crazy brother of yours?" His brother was no longer with us. He like so many was a casualty of depression. Last year, another friend became a casualty. in between, this time, there were others.
We who are able to cope, do so with a variety of methods, but we also need to understand that the cloud of depression comes and goes. It's not caused by being stuck in traffic or not liking someone. It is so complex that people who study and diagnose it have absolutely not idea how to treat it. So what are we to do for those people? Sadly, being there isn't always enough.
One of the most important people in my life battled depression and bipolar disorder. He was a family friend who despite his troubles, brought my family and I years of enjoyment. We tried to always be there for him and in the end, he just disappeared. The cause of his death isn't really known to me, but I know this disease destroyed someone who meant the world to me. It still stings.
The internet, for all it's wonder, is a harmful place. Today, all I've read is people's postings of other people chiming on Robin Williams death. Quotes and misquotes are plentiful and nearly all of my friends have blurred the lines of reality by posting one of Mr. Williams' character's quotes and crediting him with these profound statements. So many have claimed their life is ruined, their heart is broken in two and they have lost a piece of them. Mr. Williams has suffered from depression forever. This has been well documented and yet, in more than half a decade, I've never seen one post from any of these tormented souls about this man or his battle. So why now? Because he died, his celebrity deserves notice?
Depression is serious. It is not a bad day at work, a missed train or a bad relationship. It is a disease that affects those afflicted, even in times of joy. People battling depression, true depression or bipolar disorder are not broadcasting it on Facebook every hour on the hour. Their symptoms are not evident and they definitely are not trying to bring attention to that which plagues them. The attention seekers online only hurt those who are truly in need, because they stigmatize the disease as some drama king or queen's problem.
My family's dear friend battled his depression by becoming a perfectionist in everything he did, but the depression kept anything he did from appearing perfect. If he could only know that in my mind, he was the perfect role model. Selfless, kind, funny, nurturing and incredibly intelligent. Had I told him every day, would it have changed anything? Probably not, but it opened my eyes. Robin Williams is not the first to be claimed by depression and he's certainly not the first celebrity. I hope everyone remembers how awful they felt the day they learned of Heath Ledger's passing and how they reacted 5 days later when his name came up. William's passing will soon be forgotten, just like Ledger, Hoffman and the multitude of others. The reality is, we all know someone battling, but we only show this odd solidarity when it afflicts someone we don't know, because it's easier. Maybe if we all actually knew Robin Williams, it wouldn't be about how much we liked What Dreams May Come and how we looked forward to his next project and it would be about how much we wish we did more when he was here.
Funny, how when it comes to a life ended because of depression, it's about the only time RIP actually seems appropriate. ‪#‎100DaysOfHopper‬
http://www.afsp.org/


Day 79: I've figured it out. If you have more than one passion in life, you can't be truly accepted by social media. Complaining about things we all deal with on a day-to-day basis isn't a passion, although I have two friends who seem to have mastered it, but I mean true passions.
It seems to me if you comment about one thing over and over, whether it be euthanized cats, doing squats, downward facing flamingos, your split times or spending money, you somehow accumulate 50+ likes, 30 comments, usually thanking you for your existence and the occasional share. Why is it if you like puppies and running, you can't speak about both and enjoy the accolades that these people who have committed their entire lives to one thing.
Now, while I'm joking about their passions, it is not meant that they aren't noble and something that I to enjoy, I just don't see how anyone else can share such enthusiasm about such boring things. To me, telling us all about a trip to the zoo and learning that this animal or that animal is monogamous is much more fascinating than know you ran 3.3 miles in 27 minutes. Also, I'm a fat bastard and before I hurt my knees, I ran a hell of a lot faster than most of you who do this daily. Back to my point. Why do we embrace people who have a solitary activity on social media, when we abhor their company in real life? I'm not just saying that, I know people who get likes and comments from people every single day who have told me they can't stand these people in real life. So why do it?
I like to think of myself as well-rounded and feel free to snicker as you read. I enjoy pretty much all life has to offer, but food, sports, cinema, discussing politics, religion, education, working with children, helping find ways to feed those without, give tips to those in slight need and educating myself on as many topics as possible are my passions. On social media, I'm a pariah, but those who have truly gotten to know me, say much different things.
I love knowing that a friend of mine has a knack for snapping the most beautiful photgraphs, that one writes poetry, another paints, while one practices tai chi, another plays the banjo. I like that a friend is a triathlete, but rarely talks about their morning trot. One is a teacher, who gave up her entire summer to tutor (for free), but never once mentioned it. That one volunteers doing what others claim is their passion, but reap the financial benefits of doings so. I appreciate that one, like me, feels that life doesn't get them, but is fine at home on a Friday night with a good meal, a book (I'd go for the movie) and the warm embrace of solitude.
I don't want this to be misconstrued as an attempt to be noticed, it's just my confusion has gotten the best of me. Why do we embrace boring people with a single vision and not variety of interests online, when we steer clear from these sorts in reality? Why is social media so far removed from reality, when we only see each others posts because of reality? I don't think I'll ever know and even if I did, I doubt I'd understand. ‪#‎100DaysOfHopper‬

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her