Skip to main content

Weekends

How sad is it that I haven't cared about a weekend in years. I can't truly remember the last time I got excited for a weekend that didn't involve my one weekend a year going away for two days. That's my big vacation. Even the few times I did go on vacation, I despised the actual weekend, because it was all the travel aspect of the vacation.

Seriously, I'm not 21 anymore, so after work drinks on a Tuesday are exactly the same as they are on a Friday. Oh, but you get to sleep late, they say. I don't sleep late anyways. Sunday football? Nobody my age even goes out anymore and if they do, they watch one game and go home.  I've danced more on Monday or Thursday nights than I have on Friday and Saturday nights.

I'm really trying to think back to the last time I looked forward to a weekend. I don't mean one night, because yeah, of course I've had some fun individual nights planned, but not an entire weekend. I don't mean this to sound horrible, because I've had tons of fun evenings, but I've had many more on Mondays over the last few years. Before that it was Thursdays. Going way way back to my basketball days, it was Wednesdays. Even further, it was my Tuesdays. I think the last time I truly looked forward to a weekend was senior year of high school. No wait, I worked about 24 hours between Friday and Sunday nights. Hmm, yep, I've got it. 1984. I'd wake up at 8am, eat breakfast, go outside and get my friends and then walk over to the projects and play basketball. Come home for dinner and then back out to sit outside on the stoop. Saturday we'd play baseball or football in the street and then head in for the evening. I'd usually have plans with a friend for Saturday night or Sunday early, so I'd either sleep at their house or stay home, watch Saturday Night Live (when it wasn't the worst show on television) and then off to bed.

Wow, 30 years ago. Happy Saturday...I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...