Skip to main content

Define Irony

In the past ten years I haven't once woken up after a night of drinking with a hangover or headache.  In the past 10 days, since I stopped drinking, I've woken up with a migraine three times.

I couldn't afford my car at one point, so I refinanced it. One day after the final payment was mailed out, I totaled it.

I had never stretched before playing a sport in my entire life.  The first time I ever did was in a basketball class at Manhattan College.  I blew out my ACL two minutes into the game.

I once made a college baseball team that was returning JC Championship runner-ups.  I was one of two non-returners to make the team out of a pool of forty (impressive being I never played HS baseball and these were all HS all-stars).  When they congratulated me, they explained that I had to drop all my class load down to six credits.  I never played baseball again.

I skipped third grade because I was really smart.  I got left back in tenth because I was really stupid.

I went to summer school for English after failing in my senior year.  This came after getting the highest grade in the school on my 11th grade English regents.  With the same teacher.

Of all the sports I've ever played, I'm probably worst at tennis.  I've been teaching tennis for 12 years.

My mother smoked like a chimney and couldn't have a baby, but got ovarian cancer.

About this time in 1978, Bucky Fucking Dent hit the home run that devastated my Boston Red Sox.  In 1978, I was a Yankees fan.

The two people who mattered most to me as a child were my mother's parents.  I saw them every day and they did everything and anything for me.  When they died, they didn't know who I was.

I'm very close friends with all of my exes.  They are all my exes.

After suffering a bad break up, I went away for a bit and met a wonderful girl, who would have been perfect.  We spoke every night for hours while laying under the stars.  When we met, she was about to leave for Israel for a year....maybe longer.

My favorite meat is lamb.  It's probably the meat I eat the last.

I was born in Florida.  I hate the heat.

When people ask, I say I don't like to read.  Between the Internet and magazines, I probably spend more time reading than anyone I know.

I always find it interesting that people find me funny, but we don't share the same taste in humor when it comes to movies and TV.

A lot of people ask me for movie suggestions, but almost none of them have seen six of my top ten favorite films.

I consider myself a foodie, but other than steakhouses, I've only gone out for anything other than a burger, maybe five or six times in the last two years.

The people I have cared about the most, have probably taken me for granted and the people that cared about me the most, I definitely took for granted.  Is that the way it's supposed to work?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her